Re: debconfig-common new template text review

Hi Justin,

On 12-08-2019 23:15, Justin B Rye wrote:
> The only way I can find of breaking it back up is;
>
>       The package ${pkg} needs to know which plugin it should configure
>       database user accounts to use for authentication with MySQL. Please
>       select one from the list of available plugins.

I've read these lines a dozen time now, and it still is difficult. I
believe we need to break it up further up and add a bit verbosity.

"""
Database users can authenticate with MySQL with a variety of plugins.
When the default plugin doesn't work, it is necessary during
configuration of the database user account to specify which plugin will
be used to authenticate. Please select one from the list of available
plugins.
"""

> If debconf can't be trusted to get this right automatically then it
> seems unsafe to treat this as a low-priority template.

But it works in *most* cases. Nearly all other dbconfig-common related
questions are also at low-priority level as the defaults are mostly
correct for local installations, and that seems to work quite well for
more than a decade already.

> So we might say something vaguely like:
>
>       Leaving the selection set to its original value should work unless
>       a remote server is using unpredictable defaults, but other options
>       may not be supported by ${pkg}. If problems arise [describe
>       possible symptoms?], see /usr/share/doc/${pkg}/README.whatever.gz.

So, I currently have:
 Leaving the selection
 set to its original value should work unless a remote server is using
 unpredictable defaults, but other options may not be supported by
 ${pkg}. If problems arise, the package's documentation should give
 hints, see /usr/share/doc/${pkg}/.

Paul