Re: debconfig-common new template text review

Bcc:
Subject: Re: debconfig-common new template text review

Paul Gevers wrote:
>>>    Template: dbconfig-common/mysql/authplugin
>>>     Type: select
>>>     Choices: default, mysql_native_password, sha256_password, caching_sha2_password
>>>     __Choices: unspecified, native, SHA256, caching
>>>     Default: default
>>>      Please specify whether a specific MySQL authentication plugin should
>>>      always be used when dbconfig-common creates new users. Most of the time,
>>>      the default option of leaving the plugin unspecified will work - this
>>>      allows the choice to vary for particular dbconfig-common consumers.
>>>      .
>>>       * unspecified: let db-config consumers override the default;
>>>       * native: no MySQL authentication plugin is used;
>>>       * SHA256: a more secure password encryption algorithm;
>>>       * caching: SHA2 plus an in-memory authentication cache.
>
> Slight complication: this template is not used during configuration of
> dbconfig-common, but during configuration of the package that uses
> dbconfig-common. So the wording should probably not use dbconfig-common
> (as the user should need to care about what tool is being used by the
> package to ask the question). Some for "consumer", there is a place
> holder that can be set, such that it can say "this allows the choice to
> vary for <package>" but that obviously is weird because that *should* be
> known (it isn't but we could fix that, although I don't think we want to
> fix that.)

So maybe:

  Template: dbconfig-common/mysql/authplugin
  Type: select
  Choices: default, mysql_native_password, sha256_password, caching_sha2_password
  __Choices: unspecified, native, SHA256, caching
  Default: default
   Please specify whether a particular MySQL authentication plugin should
   always be used when packages need to create new users. Most of the time,
   the default option of leaving the plugin unspecified will work - this
   allows different packages to choose for themselves.
   .
       * unspecified: let packages override the MySQL default;