Re: Advice for dbconfig-common template

On 10-03-15 11:52, Justin B Rye wrote:
> I was assuming that this meant you were deliberately differentiating
> the -error templates' option-listings, but now I look at it again I'm
> not so sure.

Yes I was, but update-error and install-error remain the same. It is
remove-error that is (slightly) differentiating. And clearly
missing-db-package-error is completely different.

> This could be turned into a list as:

Yes, this is something like I had in mind (but couldn't really turn my
head around). I assume this remains one block for the translators, right?

> (I've put them in the same order as the Choices list, but it might
> make sense to reorganise those.)

Seems like a good idea.

> The above version is about as compact as I can make it; the following
> alternative version is clearer, but probably uses up too much space.

You mean it will scroll of a regular screen? Do debconf questions have a
limit in that? You add 4 extra lines this way right?

> This (and likewise remove-error) omits the explanation of "retry (skip
> questions)"; I didn't notice that the option is nonetheless available.

Ouch. This must have been a copy/paste error on my side (I was already
afraid that something like that would happen and as I saw the text
already too much, I didn't catch it).

> (It's also untrue that plain "retry" is only useful if I've fixed the
> error - I might simply have misspelled some hostname or something and
> need to try again).

Exactly, there was just a line missing, it was: "retry (skip questions)"
will immediately attempt the operation again, skipping all questions.
Usually this only makes sense if you solved the underlaying problem
between the moment the error occurred and the moment you proceed here.

> My revised patch assumes this was just some sort of copy/paste error
> and rehomogenises the templates.

Great. However the line "This will usually leave this package without a
functional database." in the remove-error doesn't make sense. That was
"This will usually leave the database and user privileges in place."
which makes more sense.

> On the other hand, if the lists are meant to be differentiated then
> the bulletpoint layout should make it simpler to implement.

Paul