Re: Advice for dbconfig-common template

Paul Gevers wrote:
> I am not 100% sure if I read you correctly, but you seem to like the
> work ;). Anyways, I have updated (no additional templates yet) the
> templates. One of the things that I really wanted to improve is the
> template for dbconfig-common/dbconfig-remove and dbconfig-common/purge
> because if you reply positive to the first, you get the second as
> question. The difference between the two was marginal, it should be
> improved. Would you be interested to also see the diff with the previous
> version?

Well, I've got a copy of the 1.8.47+nmu3 version in unstable.

> Also, I was slightly struggling with the different *-error texts. Maybe
> the last paragraph should be broken up into pieces?

It could I suppose be split into a list of options, which might make
it easier to take in, but probably bulkier.  I haven't tried that
approach yet, though.

> Also, the previous
> round of review made the text identical (good thing for translations),
> but I was missing some additional information to the user to add in his
> choice. Please be critical if the text is clear, dbconfig-common is a
> helper package to install other packages. So it needs to be generic and
> be very clear on what the user should answer or expect.

Okay, going through the template:

> Template: dbconfig-common/remote-questions-default
> Type: boolean
> Default: false
>  For the database types that support it, dbconfig-common includes support
>  for configuring databases on remote systems.  When installing a package's
                                               ^
In passing I've standardised the whitespace towards the d-l-e "house
style" of singlespaced sentences.

>  database via dbconfig-common, the questions related to remote
>  configuration are asked with a priority such that they are
>  skipped for most systems.
>  .
>  If you select this option, the default behavior will be to prompt you
>  with questions related to remote database configuration when you install
>  new packages.
>  .
>  If you are unsure, you should not select this option.
>
> Template: dbconfig-common/remember-admin-pass
> Type: boolean
> Default: false
>  By default, you will be prompted for all administrator-level database
>  passwords when you configure, upgrade, or remove applications with
>  dbconfig-common.  These passwords will not be stored in the
>  configuration database (debconf) for
>  any longer than they are needed.

It goes on to refer to "this behavior", which can be confusing since
it's talking about the thing dbconfig-common *doesn't* do.  Rephrase
it as a positive:

   dbconfig-common. These passwords will be stored in debconf's configuration
   database only for as long as they are needed.

(We try to avoid letting debconf talk about itself, but here I don't
see a way of doing that without making things harder to follow.)

>  .
>  This behavior can be disabled, in which case the passwords will
>  remain in the database.  That
>  database is protected by Unix file permissions, though this is
>  less secure and thus not the default setting.

Say "in the debconf database", and "This" rather than "That" (plus
whitespace tweaks).

>  .
>  If you would rather not be bothered for an administrative password
>  every time you upgrade a database application with dbconfig-common,
>  you should choose this option.  Otherwise, you should refuse this option.

[...]
> Template: dbconfig-common/dbconfig-remove
> Type: boolean
> Default: true
>  Since you are removing ${pkg}, it's possible that you no longer
>  want the underlying database and the privileges for the user
>  associated with this package.
>  .
>  If you like, database removal and privilege revocation can be handled
>  with dbconfig-common.

"If you like" is getting a bit touchy-feely (considering I might be a
minion reluctantly following corporate IT policy).  All that's needed
is:
   Please choose whether database removal and privilege revocation should be
   handled with dbconfig-common.

>  .
>  If you choose this option, dbconfig-common will check if ${pkg} provided
>  scripts and database commands to undo package specific operations and run
>  them if they exist. Then it will ask if you want to purge the database and
>  revoke the standard privileges for the user of ${pkg}. If you don't want
>  any of this, or if you want to handle this manually, you should refuse
>  this option.

[...]
> Template: dbconfig-common/purge
> Type: boolean
> Default: false

This might get long with some ${pkg} names; all that's needed is

and likewise
 [...]
> Template: dbconfig-common/upgrade-backup
> Type: boolean
> Default: true

[...]
> Template: dbconfig-common/upgrade-error
> Type: select
> __Choices: abort, retry, retry (skip questions), ignore
> Default: abort
> #flag:translate!:3
>  An error occurred while upgrading the database:
>  .
>  ${error}
>  .
>  Fortunately, ${dbfile} holds a backup of the database, made just before
>  the upgrade.
>  .
>  If at this point you choose "retry", you will be prompted with all the
>  configuration questions (including questions you may have missed due to the
>  current level of your debconf priority) once more and another attempt will be made at

I've shifted "once more" so it's "prompted once more", and changed
"the  current level of your debconf priority" to "the debconf priority
setting" (I personally don't have a debconf priority level, and
"current" just makes it more confusing).

>  performing the operation. "retry (skip questions)" will immediately attempt
>  the operation again, skipping all questions. Usually this only makes sense if
>  you solved the underlaying problem between the moment the error occured and
>  the moment you proceed here. If you choose "abort", the operation will fail

Two typos: s/underlaying/underlying/ and s/occured/occurred/.  I would
phrase this as:
                                    Usually this only makes sense if you have
   solved the underlying problem since the time the error occurred.

>  and you will need to downgrade, reinstall, reconfigure this package, or
>  otherwise manually intervene to continue using it. This will usually also
>  impact your ability to install other packages until you resolved the

That should be "until you have resolved" it, or in fact since some
other factor might fix it "until the installation failure is
resolved".

>  installation failure. If you choose "ignore", the operation will continue,
>  ignoring further errors from dbconfig-common. This will usually leave this
>  package without a functional database.

Then basically the same changes for the other -error templates,
except:

> Template: dbconfig-common/install-error
> Type: select
> __Choices: abort, retry, retry (skip questions), ignore
> Default: abort
> #flag:translate!:3
>  An error occurred while installing the database:
>  .
>  ${error}
>  .
>  If at this point you choose "retry", you will be prompted with all the
>  configuration questions (including questions you may have missed due to the
>  current level of your debconf priority) once more and another attempt will be made at
>  the operation again, skipping all questions. Usually this only makes sense if

This time there's a bit of extra redundancy - the "again" isn't really
necessary given that this is "another" attempt.

[...]
> Template: dbconfig-common/remote/port
> Type: string
>  Please specify the port the ${dbvendor} database on the remote host is
>  running on.  To use the
>  default port, leave this field blank.

(I'm still doing occasional whitespace adjustments.)

[...]
> Template: dbconfig-common/db/app-user
> Type: string
>  Please provide a ${dbvendor} username for ${pkg} to register with the
>  database server.  A ${dbvendor} user is not necessarily the same as a
>  system login, especially if the database is on a remote server.
>  .
>  This is the user which will own the database, tables and other
>  objects to be created by this installation.  This user will have
>  complete freedom to insert, change or delete data in the database.

This paragraph provides two opportunities for extra commas.

[...]
> Template: dbconfig-common/mysql/method
> Type: select
> __Choices: unix socket, tcp/ip
> Default: unix socket
>  By default, ${pkg} will be configured to use a MySQL server
>  through a local unix socket (this provides the best performance).
>  However, if you would like to connect with a different method, or to a
>  different server entirely, select an option from the choices below.

Standardise on "Unix" in the description.  Can we make the "Choices"
strings "Unix socket, TCP/IP"?  (I've left them for now.)

I'm not sure we're entitled to assume that debconf front-ends will
present the choices below the text (and in this case of course there's
only one other choice available).  How about:

   To connect with a different method, or to a different server entirely,
   select the option here.

(The German translator will probably want to imagine a "respective" in
there!)

[...]
> Template: dbconfig-common/mysql/admin-user
> Type: string
> Default: root
>  Please provide the name of the account with which this package should perform
>  administrative actions.  This user is the one which is able to create
>  new database users.

Using "which" rather than "who" for a user (a word which can refer to
a flesh and blood human being) is justifiable but a bit jarring.  I'd
suggest:
                           This user is the one with the power to create

(And likewise for the pgsql equivalent.)

>  .
>  For MySQL, this is almost always "root".  Note that this is NOT the
>  same as the UNIX login "root".

Again standardise towards "Unix"; and I've reduced the shoutiness.

[...]
> Template: dbconfig-common/pgsql/method
> Type: select
> __Choices: unix socket, tcp/ip, tcp/ip + ssl
> Default: unix socket
>  By default, ${pkg} will be configured to use a PostgreSQL server
>  through a local unix socket (this provides the best performance).
>  However, if you would like to connect with a different method, or to a
>  different server entirely, select an option from the choices below.

Again I'd prefer "Unix socket, TCP/IP, TCP/IP + SSL", but I've only
done the same changes as above.

> Template: dbconfig-common/pgsql/app-pass
> Type: password
>  Please provide a password for ${pkg} to register with the database
>  server.  If left blank, a random password will be generated.
>  .
>  If you are using "ident" based authentication, the supplied password will
>  not be used and can be left blank.  Otherwise, PostgreSQL access may
>  need to be reconfigured to allow password-authenticated access.

"Based" needs a hyphen, but here as usual it's redundant anyway - you
just mean

   If you are using "ident" authentication, the supplied password will

[...]
> Template: dbconfig-common/pgsql/authmethod-admin
> Type: select
> __Choices: ident, password
> Default: ident
>  PostgreSQL servers provide several different mechanisms for authenticating
>  connections.  Please select what method the administrative user should use
>  when connecting to the server.
>  .
>  With "ident" authentication on the local machine, the
>  server will check that the owner of the unix socket is allowed to connect.

Standardise to "Unix".

>  .
>  With "ident" authentication to remote hosts, RFC 1413 based ident is
>  used (note this can be considered a security risk).

Here I suppose you do want "based", so hyphenate it all up:

   With "ident" authentication to remote hosts, RFC-1413-based ident is
   used (which can be considered a security risk).

I'm also taking out the "note that" since there's another in the next
paragraph.

>   .
>  With "password" authentication, a password will be passed to the server
>  for use with some authentication backend (such as "md5" or "pam").  Note
>  that the password is still passed in the clear across network
>  connections if your connection is not configured to use SSL.

Are we sure we don't mean "MD5" or "PAM"?

>  .
>  For a standard PostgreSQL package installation running on the same host,
>  "ident" is recommended.

The word "package" doesn't seem particularly necessary there (or in
similar templates below); it's talking about the service, not the .deb
file.

[...]
> Template: dbconfig-common/pgsql/changeconf
> Type: boolean
> Default: false
> #flag:translate!:3
>  It has been determined that the database installation for ${pkg}
>  can not be automatically accomplished without making changes to

"Can not" can be ambiguous; I would make it "cannot".

>  the PostgreSQL server's access controls.  It is suggested that this
>  be done by dbconfig-common when the package is installed.  If
>  instead you would prefer it done manually, the following line needs
>  to be added to your pg_hba.conf:
>  .
>  ${pghbaline}

The trouble with that "done manually" phrasing is that unwary readers
might take it to mean that debconf is offering to do it "manually" for
them... instead say

   instead you would prefer to do it manually, the following line needs

(Here and in revertconf)

[...]
# These templates have been reviewed by the debian-l10n-english
# team
#
# If modifications/additions/rewording are needed, please ask
# debian-l10n-english@lists.debian.org for advice.
#
# Even minor modifications require translation updates and such
# changes should be coordinated with translators and reviewers.

[...]

 remain in the debconf database. This database is protected by Unix file
 permissions, though this is less secure and thus not the default setting.
 .
 If you would rather not be bothered for an administrative password
 every time you upgrade a database application with dbconfig-common,
 you should choose this option. Otherwise, you should refuse this option.

Template: dbconfig-common/dbconfig-install
Type: boolean
Default: true
 The ${pkg} package must have a database installed and configured before
 it can be used.  This can be optionally handled with
 dbconfig-common.
 .
 If you are an advanced database administrator and know that you want
 to perform this configuration manually, or if your database has already
 been installed and configured, you should refuse this option. Details on what
 needs to be done should most likely be provided in /usr/share/doc/${pkg}.
 .
 Otherwise, you should probably choose this option.

Template: dbconfig-common/dbconfig-reinstall
Type: boolean
Default: false
 Since you are reconfiguring ${pkg}, you may also want to reinstall the
 database which it uses.
 .
 If you wish to reinstall the database for ${pkg}, you should select
 this option. If you do not wish to do so (if you are reconfiguring
 the package for unrelated reasons), you should not select this option.
 .
 Warning: if you opt to reinstall the database and install it under a
 name that already exists, the old database will be dropped without
 further questions. In that case a backup of the original database is
 made in /var/tmp/.
 .
 Warning: if you change the name of the database, the old database will
 not be removed. If you change the name of the user that connects to
 the database, the privileges of the original user will not be revoked.

Template: dbconfig-common/dbconfig-upgrade
Type: boolean
Default: true
 According to the maintainer for this package, database upgrade
 operations need to be performed on ${pkg}. Typically, this is due to
 changes in how a new upstream version of the package needs to store
 its data.
 .
 If you want to handle this process manually, you should
 refuse this option. Otherwise, you should choose this option.
 During the upgrade, a backup of the database will be made in
 /var/cache/dbconfig-common/backups, from which the database can
 be restored in the case of problems.

Template: dbconfig-common/dbconfig-remove
Type: boolean
Default: true
 Since you are removing ${pkg}, it's possible that you no longer
 want the underlying database and the privileges for the user
 associated with this package.
 .
 Please choose whether database removal and privilege revocation should be
 handled with dbconfig-common.
 .
 If you choose this option, dbconfig-common will check if ${pkg} provided
 scripts and database commands to undo package specific operations and run
 them if they exist. Then it will ask if you want to purge the database and
 revoke the standard privileges for the user of ${pkg}. If you don't want
 any of this, or if you want to handle this manually, you should refuse
 this option.

Template: dbconfig-common/database-type
Type: select
Choices: ${database_types}
 The ${pkg} package can be configured to use one of several database types.
 Below, you will be presented with the available choices.

Template: dbconfig-common/purge
Type: boolean
Default: false
 If you no longer need the database for ${pkg} and the privileges of
 the database user of ${pkg}, you can choose to remove the database and
 revoke the privileges now.
 .
 If you no longer have need of the data being stored by ${pkg}, you
 should choose this option. If you want to keep this data,
 or if you would rather handle this process manually, you should
 refuse this option.

Template: dbconfig-common/upgrade-backup
Type: boolean
Default: true
 The underlying database for ${pkg} needs to be upgraded as part of the
 installation process. Just in case, the database can be backed up
 before this is done, so that if something goes wrong, you can revert
 to the previous package version and repopulate the database.

Template: dbconfig-common/password-confirm
Type: password

Template: dbconfig-common/app-password-confirm
Type: password

Template: dbconfig-common/passwords-do-not-match
Type: error
 The password and its confirmation do not match.

Template: dbconfig-common/upgrade-error
Type: select
__Choices: abort, retry, retry (skip questions), ignore
Default: abort
#flag:translate!:3
 An error occurred while upgrading the database:
 .
 ${error}
 .
 Fortunately, ${dbfile} holds a backup of the database, made just before
 the upgrade.
 .
 If at this point you choose "retry", you will be prompted once more with all
 the configuration questions (including questions you may have missed due to
 the debconf priority setting), and another attempt will be made at performing
 the operation. "retry (skip questions)" will immediately attempt the operation
 again, skipping all questions. Usually this only makes sense if you have
 solved the underlying problem since the time the error occurred. If you choose
 "abort", the operation will fail and you will need to downgrade, reinstall,
 reconfigure this package, or otherwise manually intervene to continue using
 it. This will usually also impact your ability to install other packages until
 the installation failure is resolved. If you choose "ignore", the operation
 will continue, ignoring further errors from dbconfig-common. This will usually
 leave this package without a functional database.

Template: dbconfig-common/install-error
Type: select
__Choices: abort, retry, retry (skip questions), ignore
Default: abort
#flag:translate!:3
 An error occurred while installing the database:
 .
 ${error}
 .
 If at this point you choose "retry", you will be prompted once more with all
 the configuration questions (including questions you may have missed due to
 the debconf priority level) and another attempt will be made at performing the
 operation, skipping all questions. Usually this only makes sense if you have
 solved the underlying problem since the time the error occurred. If you choose
 "abort", the operation will fail and you will need to downgrade, reinstall,
 reconfigure this package, or otherwise manually intervene to continue using
 it. This will usually also impact your ability to install other packages until
 the installation failure is resolved. If you choose "ignore", the operation
 will continue, ignoring further errors from dbconfig-common. This will usually
 leave this package without a functional database.

Template: dbconfig-common/remove-error
Type: select
__Choices: abort, retry, retry (skip questions), ignore
Default: abort
#flag:translate!:3
 An error occurred while removing the database:
 .
 ${error}
 .
 For some reason it was not possible to perform some of the actions necessary
 to remove the database for ${pkg}.  At this point you have two options: you
 can find out what has caused this error and fix it, or you can refuse
 the offer for help removing the database (the latter implies you will
 have to remove the database manually).
 .
 If at this point you choose "retry", you will be prompted once more with all
 the configuration questions (including questions you may have missed due to
 the debconf priority level) and another attempt will be made at performing the
 operation, skipping all questions. Usually this only makes sense if you have
 solved the underlying problem since the time the error occurred. If you choose
 "abort", the operation will fail and you will need to downgrade, reinstall,
 reconfigure this package, or otherwise manually intervene to continue using
 it. This will usually also impact your ability to install other packages until
 the installation failure is resolved. If you choose "ignore", the operation
 will continue, ignoring further errors from dbconfig-common. This will usually
 leave the database and user privileges in place.

Template: dbconfig-common/missing-db-package-error
Type: select
Choices: abort, retry, ignore
Default: abort
 Configuring the database for ${pkg} requires the package ${dbpackage}
 to be installed and configured first, which is not something that can be
 checked for automatically.
 .
 If in doubt, you should choose "abort", and install ${dbpackage} before
 continuing with the configuration of this package. If you choose "retry",
 you will be allowed to choose different answers (in case you chose the
 wrong database type by mistake). If you choose "ignore", then installation
 will continue as normal.

Template: dbconfig-common/remote/host
Type: select
Choices: ${hosts}
 Please select the remote hostname to use, or select "new host" to
 enter a new host.

Template: dbconfig-common/remote/port
Type: string
 Please specify the port the ${dbvendor} database on the remote host is
 running on. To use the default port, leave this field blank.

Template: dbconfig-common/remote/newhost
Type: string
 Please provide the hostname of a remote ${dbvendor} server.
 .
 You must have already arranged for the administrative
 account to be able to remotely create databases and grant
 privileges.

Template: dbconfig-common/db/dbname
Type: string
 Please provide a name for the ${dbvendor} database to be used by ${pkg}.

Template: dbconfig-common/db/app-user
Type: string
 Please provide a ${dbvendor} username for ${pkg} to register with the
 database server. A ${dbvendor} user is not necessarily the same as a
 system login, especially if the database is on a remote server.
 .
 This is the user which will own the database, tables, and other
 objects to be created by this installation. This user will have
 complete freedom to insert, change, or delete data in the database.

Template: dbconfig-common/db/basepath
Type: string
 Please provide a path where the ${dbvendor} database file for ${pkg}
 should be installed into.
 .
 The permissions for this directory will be set to match the permissions
 for the generated database file.

Template: dbconfig-common/mysql/method
Type: select
__Choices: unix socket, tcp/ip
Default: unix socket
 By default, ${pkg} will be configured to use a MySQL server
 through a local Unix socket (this provides the best performance).
 To connect with a different method, or to a different server entirely,
 select the option here.

Template: dbconfig-common/mysql/app-pass
Type: password
 Please provide a password for ${pkg} to register with the
 database server. If left blank, a random password will be
 generated.

Template: dbconfig-common/mysql/admin-user
Type: string
Default: root
 Please provide the name of the account with which this package should perform
 administrative actions. This user is the one with the power to create new
 database users.
 .
 For MySQL, this is almost always "root". Note that this is not the
 same as the Unix login "root".

Template: dbconfig-common/mysql/admin-pass
Type: password
 Please provide the password for the administrative account "${dbadmin}" with
 which this package should create its MySQL database and user.

Template: dbconfig-common/pgsql/method
Type: select
__Choices: unix socket, tcp/ip, tcp/ip + ssl
Default: unix socket
 By default, ${pkg} will be configured to use a PostgreSQL server
 through a local Unix socket (this provides the best performance).
 To connect with a different method, or to a different server entirely,
 select the option from the choices here.

Template: dbconfig-common/pgsql/app-pass
Type: password
 Please provide a password for ${pkg} to register with the database
 server. If left blank, a random password will be generated.
 .
 If you are using "ident" authentication, the supplied password will not
 be used and can be left blank. Otherwise, PostgreSQL access may need to
 be reconfigured to allow password-authenticated access.

Template: dbconfig-common/pgsql/admin-user
Type: string
Default: postgres
 Please provide the name of the account with which this package should perform
 administrative actions. This user is the one with the power to create new
 database users.

Template: dbconfig-common/pgsql/admin-pass
Type: password
 Please provide the password for the ${dbadmin} account with which this package
 should perform administrative actions.
 .
 For a standard PostgreSQL installation, a database password is not
 required, since authentication is done at the system level.

[...]
 For a standard PostgreSQL installation running on the same host,
 "ident" is recommended.

Template: dbconfig-common/pgsql/authmethod-user
Type: select
__Choices: ident, password
 PostgreSQL servers provide several different mechanisms for authenticating
 connections. Please select what method the database user should use
 when connecting to the server.
 .
 With "ident" authentication on the local machine, the server will
 check that the owner of the Unix socket is allowed to connect.
 .
 With "ident" authentication to remote hosts, RFC-1413-based ident is
 used (which can be considered a security risk).
 .
 With "password" authentication, a password will be passed to the server
 for use with some authentication backend (such as "md5" or "pam"). Note
 that the password is still passed in the clear across network
 connections if your connection is not configured to use SSL.
 .
 For a standard PostgreSQL installation running on the same host,
 "ident" is recommended.

Template: dbconfig-common/pgsql/no-user-choose-other-method
Type: note
 Unfortunately, it seems that the database connection method you
 have selected for ${pkg} will not work, because it requires the existence
 of a local user that does not exist.

Template: dbconfig-common/pgsql/changeconf
Type: boolean
Default: false
#flag:translate!:3
 It has been determined that the database installation for ${pkg}
 cannot be automatically accomplished without making changes to
 the PostgreSQL server's access controls. It is suggested that this
 be done by dbconfig-common when the package is installed. If
 instead you would prefer to do it manually, the following line needs
 to be added to your pg_hba.conf:
 .
 ${pghbaline}

Template: dbconfig-common/pgsql/revertconf
Type: boolean
Default: false
#flag:translate!:3
 As ${pkg} is now being removed, it may no longer be necessary to
 have an access control entry in the PostgreSQL server's configuration.
 While keeping such an entry will not break any software on the
 system, it may be seen as a potential security concern. It is suggested
 that this be done by dbconfig-common when the package is removed.
 If instead you would prefer to do it manually, the following line
 needs to be removed from your pg_hba.conf:
 .
 ${pghbaline}

Template: dbconfig-common/pgsql/manualconf
Type: note
 To get the database for package ${pkg} bootstrapped you have
 to edit the configuration of the PostgreSQL server. You may be able to
 find help in the file /usr/share/doc/${pkg}/README.Debian.

Template: dbconfig-common/pgsql/no-empty-passwords
Type: error

Template: dbconfig-common/internal/reconfiguring
Type: boolean
Default: false

Template: dbconfig-common/internal/skip-preseed
Type: boolean
Default: false
--- dbconfig-common.templates	2015-03-09 21:24:26.092163715 +0000
+++ dbconfig-common.templates.new	2015-03-09 23:19:10.139233876 +0000
@@ -12,7 +12,7 @@
@@ -29,18 +29,16 @@

@@ -52,7 +50,7 @@
  .
  If you are an advanced database administrator and know that you want
  to perform this configuration manually, or if your database has already
- been installed and configured, you should refuse this option.  Details on what
+ been installed and configured, you should refuse this option. Details on what
  needs to be done should most likely be provided in /usr/share/doc/${pkg}.
  .
  Otherwise, you should probably choose this option.
@@ -65,7 +63,7 @@
  database which it uses.
  .
@@ -82,12 +80,12 @@

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]