Re: Correct one-line-description of cookie setting in textbrowser w3m needed

Hello Justin, hello subscribers of this list,

please note with references to:
  https://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-english/2014/10/msg00021.html

In the course of my translation work on the man-page of w3m, I made a
couple of tests and meanwhile learned to know the option -reqlog

  w3m -reqlog URL

and found out

  ~/.w3m/request.log

as the place for the logged data and what kind of data inside. They
show the HTTP communication between w3m and the web server. The file
features domain name information of both sides as well as the domain
string within a cookie the server tries to set on the disk of the
client PC; in other words, value of its domain attribute of the
cookie. See the snippet below with a SET-COOKIE request by
wikipedia's server and usage of a cookie by w3m.

In addition, the file that stores cookies

  ~/.w3m/cookie

is a plain text file. It is loaded into the browser upon start and
saved before EXIT.

I think with this technical background information, it should be
possible to unravel what domain information is subject to validation
and what are in fact the criteria applied in this validation.

I would appreciate if there was somebody who designs and performs the
necessary tests, The findings would be valuable to improve the w3m's
user documentation.

Regards
Markus

GET / HTTP/1.0
Host: de.wikipedia.org

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Server: Apache
Set-Cookie: GeoIP=DE:Schwabhausen:48.4000:11.3500:v4; Path=/; Domain=.wikipedia.org

GET /wiki/Wikipedia:Hauptseite HTTP/1.0
Host: de.wikipedia.org
Referer: http://de.wikipedia.org/
Cookie: GeoIP=DE:Schwabhausen:48.4000:11.3500:v4
Cookie2: $Version="1"

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Apache