Re: Please review text for security warning

On 20/10/14 07:56 PM, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Is anyone likely to misread "self-modification by users" as meaning
> "getting my ears pierced", or is that the kind of thing that only
> occurs to pedants?

You're right, it's a bad place to use slapd jargon that overloads
general terms. One last attempt, then:

There's nothing wrong with your previous suggestion ("OpenLDAP access
control rule issue"), I'm just hoping it can be slightly more explicit
about what the issue is, and mention slapd specifically.

> I might suggest adding the word "slapd" or "slapd.conf" in the first
> couple of lines, though there is a good clue at the end.

Under the Dialog frontend, the dialog title is "Configuring slapd", so I
thought that might be OK. Either way, including it in the first line
resolves that.

> Non-native speakers can find "integrated" relative clauses ("rules
> beginning with") hard to follow, so I would suggest saying "rules that
> begin with" instead.  You might even rearrange it as
>
>    In the case of slapd access rules that begin with "to *", it is
>    recommended to remove any instances of "by self write", so that
>    users are only able to modify specifically allowed attributes.

That does flow a lot better, thanks!

Thanks for your help,
Ryan