Re: Please review changes DebConf template for package italc

Hi Justin,

On  So 17 Aug 2014 00:02:25 CEST, Justin B Rye wrote:

Mike Gabriel wrote:
 For the desktop session to be controlled via iTALC, the iTALC client
 applet needs to be running, listening on a TCP/IP socket for authorized
 VNC-like connections from the iTALC master.
 .
 It can be configured to start automatically on desktop session startup,
 but for security reasons this is not the default.

This one looks good, I have to add a bit more information:

"""
 For the desktop session to be controlled via iTALC, the iTALC client
 applet needs to be running, listening on a TCP/IP socket for authorized
 VNC-like connections from the iTALC master application.
  .
 It can be configured to start automatically on desktop session startup,
 but for security reasons this is not the default.
 .
 Remember that the iTALC client applet will only launch for users that are
 member of the iTALC student group.
"""

There's a whitespace error on that first "." line.

Ok. Seen that.

In your proposal I added one word ("iTALC master" -> iTALC master
application").

I don't see why that's needed - if it's a daemon, why call it an
application?  And why talk about the software at all when the
connection comes from a machine that we can call the "iTALC master"?

iTALC master (/usr/bin/ima) is actually QtGUI tool that is used by the "teacher" to monitor all controlled desktop sessions on the student workstations. So, the iTALC master is not a machine here, neither a daemon, but a QtGUI application.

And I feel that I need to add that last sentence (it's on the last
DebConf screen). If users are not in that iTALC student group, iTALC
won't work.

Is that last sentence ok from your perspective? The information
about that necessary group membership has been given on a previous
DebConf screen (quoted below).

There is a slight grammatical error: "users that are member" should be
"users that are members".

ok. Thanks.

I could probably cram that information into the previous paragraph:

   It can be configured to start automatically on desktop session startup
   (for users that are members of the iTALC student group), but for
   security reasons this is not the default.

This might be getting too compressed, though.

So, I won't take it(?).

[...]
[...]

About the error message DebConf screen, see my reply to Christian's
earlier mail.

Yes, that looks good.

Ok.

Cheers,