Re: Request for Review: APT manpages

Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> writes:

> apt-extracttemplates.1.xml is trivial; the only thing I'd suggest for
> it is
>
>   <refnamediv>
>      <refname>apt-extracttemplates</refname>
> -    <refpurpose>Utility to extract DebConf config and templates from Debian packages</refpurpose>
> +    <refpurpose>Utility to extract debconf config and templates from Debian packages</refpurpose>
>   </refnamediv>
>
> (DebConf is the annual event, debconf is the executable.)

Both those statements are correct; but what is being named here is not
the executable, but the configuration database. Maybe “Debconf” for that
term?

> Perhaps s/stdout/standard output/ (or s/stdout/STDOUT/) throughout.

Either leave it as “stdout” (a term of art, probably appropriate for the
intended audience) or use “standard output”. I don't think “STDOUT” will
help.

> >    <para>
> >    The <literal>generate</literal> command uses a configuration file to describe the
> >    archives that are going to be generated. It follows the typical ISC
> >    configuration format as seen in ISC tools like bind 8 and dhcpd.
>                                                          ^
> AFAIK it's the same in bind9, so drop the version number.

The name of the system is “BIND”, an acronym. (The executable program
has a completely different name.)

--
 \     “You don't need a book of any description to help you have some |
  `\    kind of moral awareness.” —Dr. Francesca Stavrakoloulou, bible |