Re: Modified debconf strings for dictionaries-common

Agustin Martin wrote:
> After bug report #619649 I am about to modify some of the strings in
> dictionaries-common debconf templates. New text is

When I belatedly go and look up #619649 I'm not entirely convinced.
If ispell and some dictionaries have been pulled in automatically, the
user is going to be asked to pick a default without necessarily
knowing anything about what ispell does or what difference it makes
(let alone what default.aff is for).

That's a really hard one to fix within debconf's space constraints,
but as a token gesture I'll throw in the word "spell-checking".

> dictionaries-common/default-ispell:

>  When no explicit dictionary is specified when running ispell,
>  it  will fall back to using the default dictionary pointed
>  to by symlinks named default.aff and default.hash under
>  /usr/lib/ispell.
>  .
>  Please indicate which dictionary should be used as
>  system-wide default. This determines the target of the
>  aforementioned symlinks and also sets global ispell-wrapper
>  and Emacs ispell defaults.
>  .
>  Use "Manual symlink setting" if you want to handle the
>  symlinks yourself. There will be no global Emacs nor ispell-wrapper
>  defaults for ispell in that case.
>  .
>  You can change the default ispell dictionary at any time by running
>  "select-default-ispell".

I can't see why the exact names of the default.hash symlink and so on
would matter enough to be worth delaying the important part of the
instructions.  Bear in mind that you can explain as many
implementation details as you like in select-default-ispell(8) - it
doesn't all have to go here.

Does this choice also result in the recreation of the ispell.db, jed,
and SquirrelMail caches mentioned in update-default-ispell(8)?

Normally I try to avoid phrases like "if you want to", but the
alternatives all seem clumsy, so I've left that in (but I took out the
"nor").

   Please indicate which dictionary ispell should use as system-wide
   default when no other spell-checking dictionary is specified.
   .
   This sets up the /usr/lib/ispell/default.aff and
   /usr/lib/ispell/default.hash symlinks, as well as ispell's global
   ispell-wrapper and Emacs defaults.
   .
   Use "Manual symlink setting" if you want to handle the symlinks
   yourself. In this case ispell will have no global ispell-wrapper or
   Emacs defaults.
   .
   The default ispell dictionary can be changed at any time by running
   "select-default-ispell".

> dictionaries-common/default-wordlist:

>  Selected wordlist will be used as "/usr/share/dict/words" by linking
>  to it. Use "Manual symlinks setting" if you want to handle that symlink
>  yourself.
>  .
>  You can change the default wordlist at any time by running
>  "select-default-wordlist".

   Please indicate which spell-checking wordlist the "/usr/share/dict/words"
   symlink should point to. Use "Manual symlinks setting" if you want to
   handle that symlink yourself.
   .
   The default wordlist can be changed at any time by running
   "select-default-wordlist".