Re: Modified debconf strings for dictionaries-common

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 03:41:04PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Agustin Martin wrote:
> > After bug report #619649 I am about to modify some of the strings in
> > dictionaries-common debconf templates. New text is
>
> When I belatedly go and look up #619649 I'm not entirely convinced.
> If ispell and some dictionaries have been pulled in automatically, the
> user is going to be asked to pick a default without necessarily
> knowing anything about what ispell does or what difference it makes
> (let alone what default.aff is for).
>
> That's a really hard one to fix within debconf's space constraints,
> but as a token gesture I'll throw in the word "spell-checking".

Most users will never see this question, because a sensible default should
have beeen guessed and set after locales, but you are right.

> > dictionaries-common/default-ispell:

> >  When no explicit dictionary is specified when running ispell,
> >  it  will fall back to using the default dictionary pointed
> >  to by symlinks named default.aff and default.hash under
> >  /usr/lib/ispell.
> >  .
> >  Please indicate which dictionary should be used as
> >  system-wide default. This determines the target of the
> >  aforementioned symlinks and also sets global ispell-wrapper
> >  and Emacs ispell defaults.
> >  .
> >  Use "Manual symlink setting" if you want to handle the
> >  symlinks yourself. There will be no global Emacs nor ispell-wrapper
> >  defaults for ispell in that case.
> >  .
> >  You can change the default ispell dictionary at any time by running
> >  "select-default-ispell".
>
> I can't see why the exact names of the default.hash symlink and so on
> would matter enough to be worth delaying the important part of the
> instructions.  Bear in mind that you can explain as many
> implementation details as you like in select-default-ispell(8) - it
> doesn't all have to go here.
>
> Does this choice also result in the recreation of the ispell.db, jed,
> and SquirrelMail caches mentioned in update-default-ispell(8)?

No, those databases just contain info provided by installed ispell
dictionaries/wordlists, no info about default there.

> Normally I try to avoid phrases like "if you want to", but the
> alternatives all seem clumsy, so I've left that in (but I took out the
> "nor").

I like very much your suggestion. Thanks a lot.

Regards,

--
Agustin