Re: Please review vidalia debconf template

On 26/09/10 06:31, Justin B Rye wrote:
> It seems to me the best thing to do with the information I need to
> answer the next question is to arrange for it to be on my screen
> while I'm making the decision...
>
> In fact since the note only lists two options while the select
> template offers three I'm finding it hard to see how they fit
> together.

Agreed!

>> I think I agree about some junk pieces, but appeared to me to bring them
>> contextualization.
>>
>> In that way, I try to make the user take a quick look at README.Debian,
>> containing quick and painless information (not present in the current
>> pkgs at archive), between other things, explaining different
>> "communication methods", more than the template was mentioning.
>>
>> Basically (and unfortunately I've realised I've never mentioned on none
>> of both templates), the reason to raise this information at templates is
>> found on the fact that most recommended option requires from some user
>> interactions on running some process and editing *other* configuration
>> files than this package's (tor's configuration).
>>
>> I don't really would like to mention "control-port" as _an option_, I
>> would rather stay at a "other methods" or something like that, because
>> between other things, the older "no"-option included more than the
>> "control-port" one (explained on the README.Debian file).
>>
> Does this mean that option one is in effect "leave vidalia/tor
> communication unconfigured (see README for manual setup)"?

Yes, that's right, it leaves Vidalia unconfigured in the way that It
will require from user interaction to be able to start.

>> Hope this explanation give a more practical context to most of the
>> questions, please tell me if you require me to interact with some of
>> your other questions in this mail or if they're for other list member's
>> to debate (I don't really know how this works, thanks for being merciful
>> :-) )
>>
> It's possible someone else on the list happens to know the answers,
> but otherwise I'll keep guessing.

Thanks for the patience! :-)

> Another try, explicitly merging the note with the select template.
> I'm also trying to organise it so it still makes sense in
> dpkg-reconfigure runs after the user has made the required changes.
>
>    Template: vidalia/tor-daemon-interaction
>    Type: select
>    Choices-C: foo, bar, baz
>    __Choices: No restart, Automatic restart, On-demand restart
>    Default: foo
>     Vidalia needs to communicate with the running Tor daemon so that it
>     can provide a graphical user interface for it. This requires either
>     the manual reconfiguration of Tor to allow a secure connection
>     (recommended) or a restart of Tor under Vidalia's control.
>     .
>     Please select a scheme:
>      * No restart: leave Tor running for now. Vidalia will not be
>        able to communicate with it until reconfigured - see
>        "/usr/share/doc/vidalia/README.Debian";
>      * Automatic restart: stop Tor now and let Vidalia start it (now
>        and on reboots, so that Tor is always running);
>      * On-demand restart: stop Tor and simply let Vidalia start it
>        whenever you run Vidalia.

I really like it! This is a nice mix of both old templates!

I'll try to change a little bit some words to avoid a possible
misunderstanding:

Template: vidalia/tor-daemon-interaction
Type: select
Choices-C: nothing, stop-once, stop-forever
__Choices: No Configuration, Stop Tor once, Stop Tor forever
Default: stop-forever
Vidalia needs to communicate with the running Tor daemon so that it
can provide a graphical user interface for it. This requires either
the manual reconfiguration of Tor to allow a secure authentication
(recommended) or a restart of Tor under Vidalia's control.
.
Please select a profile:
* No configuration: leave Tor running for now. Vidalia will not be
able to communicate with it until manually reconfigured -
 see "/usr/share/doc/vidalia/README.Debian" for more details;
.
* Stop Tor once: stop Tor now so Vidalia can start it, just for this time,
Tor will start by it's own on next reboot and manual configuration
 will be further required;
.
* Stop Tor forever: stop Tor and simply let Vidalia start it
whenever you run Vidalia.

I switched a few words to give more idea in the configuration options,
but it's basically your suggestion rephrased.
What do you think? :-D

Cheers,

Dererk

--