Re: [RFR] templates://rinputd/{templates}

Quoting Chase Douglas (chase.douglas@ubuntu.com):
> Thanks for this review! I have some good ideas for improving the
> templates now, based on the patches sent to me. Now, what do I need to
> do to move the process along? Should I send my own reworked templates
> and control back as an attachment and patch? Or do I do something
> else? In the end, I assume I am responsible for actually updating the
> package and uploading a new version, right?

Not yet. The process involves a "Review" phase, which is what we're
currently doing, and I usually leave a few days to debian-l10n-english (dle)
contributors (and the maintainer, of course) to react and propose
enhancements, etc.

Then I'll send a "Last Chance For Comments" mail that includes the
last version of files. This is meant to leave a very last opportunity
to dle people to check the revised files.

After two days, I then send a bug report against the package with
these files and the relevant patch. Still, I ask maintainers to not
update their package yet as modifying debconf templates involves
updating their translations.

In normal times (that is when the files are *not* reviewed on
debian-l10n-english) this translation update is expected to be done
after a "calls for translations" managed by the maintainer.

In this process, I offer doing and coordinating the translation update
round myself....which indeed is a good way to "show" maintainers how
to proceed..:-)

For this, once the bug report for rewording templates has been sent
and, again, after a couple of days that give maintainers a chance to
comment...again (some never comment during the review process and
suddenly "wake up" when they get the bug report....), I send a call
for translations:

that involves using a helper tool that comes with the po-debconf
package, namely "podebconf-report-po". This tool has several
options. I use it for two purposes:

- send to translators and translation teams for *existing*
translations (files in debian/po) a notice with the updated PO files,
asking them to complete them

- send to debian-i18n@lists.debian.org a call for *new* translations
by sending there the debian/po/templates.pot file

This "translation update" step lasts for several days, as some
translation teams have a formalized internal QA process with peer
review, etc. So, we generally leave up to 2 weeks.

During these 2 weeks, I collect the incominng updates that flow in
through the BTS, check the files for validity (sometimes, some newbie
translators make mistakes and send invalid PO files)...and put them in
my work tree.

Very finally, after this translation update step....I Collect the
whole bunch of changed files: *templates, control and
debian/po/* and even a debian/changelog file with a mention of all
these updates as well as the relevant bug closures....and I send a big
patch to the maintainer (in the bug I originally opened for the
review).

*then* it's time for you to upload..:-)

As you see, this is a fairly long process as there are steps that last
for quite some time to give any involved party a chance to comment,
propose modifications, etc...as well as time to translators for doing
thei work. The whole loop lasts for about 35-40 days..:-)

In general, this very formalized process happens once: when a package
is spotted by me (often after changes in debconf templates) and I
decide to use an nopportunity to make a complete review. Later on, if
you happen to need changing something, you may ask for a small review
on debian-l10n-english. Aften, a couple of mails are enough...and
then, if the modified text impacts translations, you, as maintainer,
can manage a translation update round yourself (by using this magic
podebconf-report-po tool).