Re: package description : cocot

Yukiharu Yabuki wrote:
> I would like to get comments for cocot. I am making the package.
> Before send ITP, I would like to correct descption.

(I'm Ccing you instead of assuming you're subscribed; apologies if
this is unwelcome.)

>  This program convert encode between tty and process.
>  Usually the program cooperate with ssh or telnet.
>  cocot was made from shortened word of 'COde COnverter on Tty'.
> .
>  If you have accouns twhich are different encode in same language,
>  this package is what you need.

That would at least be enough to stop people installing it on the
assumption that it's a Customer Owned Coin Operated Telephone.  But
when you say "encode" the term you're looking for is "encoding" (or
strictly speaking "character encoding").

It sounds as if the idea is that you'd run "cocot ssh example.org",
and it would act as a wrapper translating the output of remote
commands into your local iso-2022-jp.  Let me know if I'm getting it
wrong...

   This program translates character encodings between a TTY and
   some process such as ssh or telnet. The name "cocot" is an
   abbreviation of "COde COnverter on Tty".
   .
   If you have accounts which use different encodings in the same
   language, this package is what you need.

It would be helpful if you would describe that scenario in more
detail.  If I'm using en_US.iso88591 locally and en_US.utf8 on the
remote host, what will cocot show in place of symbols like “€”?

What goes wrong if the remote locale isn't "the same language"?

Does it have any connection to utilities like "luit" (in x11-utils)?