Re: Request for review of a package description

2009/8/1 Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk>
José L. Redrejo wrote:
> Please, keep me in cc as I'm not subscribed to this list.

> After #534673,  I am rewritting the description of the gambas2 packages
> and would like your comments and/or help on the text.
> The source tarball of gambas2 creates 20 binary files. I was keeping a
> common part in every description of every binary file, and a couple of
> sentences more for each one, adding the purpose of that binary file.

Good plan.

> Gambas is a programing language based on a BASIC interpreter
> with object extensions, like Visual Basic(tm) (but it is NOT a clone!).

"ProgramMing" (even in en_US).  This is fine except that I'd like to
find a way of reducing the punctuation - maybe:

 Gambas is a programming language based on a BASIC interpreter with
 object extensions - like Visual Basic, though it is NOT a clone!

I've never been sure about trademark signs in package descriptions.
If we're legally obliged to acknowledge it as a Registered
trademark, we should be writing it as ®; ™ is only for unregistered
trademarks.  But do we really need to do that?  After all, MySQL and
KDE are registered trademarks too.  I Am Not A Lawyer, and I don't
even play one on debian-legal, but as I understand it, Microsoft
always need to flag their brand names with registered-trademark
signs to warn other companies "you can't sell your product under
this name".  As long as we aren't doing that, trademarks are
irrelevant - using a circle-R sign might even be counterproductive.

On the other hand maybe you're just using "TM" to call attention to
the fact that it's a commercial product; if so I'd suggest calling
it "Microsoft's Visual Basic".

I'm not sure either, I just cloned the way upstream says it at his website.
Taking a look to the wv or mdbtools-gmdb description, they use the wording you suggested
or even only MS Visual Basic

> There are a lot of Gambas components that allow developing
> internationalized, desktop independent, database, network applications
> and even games can be developed very quickly using its RAD environment.

That list is hard to follow.  Comparing the old version I think you

 It has many components for developing internationalized,
 desktop-independent, database- and network-enabled applications.
 Even games can be developed very quickly using its RAD environment.

Well it sounds much better than mine, and obviously more "englishish" (if that word exists)

JBR     with qualifications in linguistics, experience as a Debian

Thanks very much for your suggestions, I'll use them

José L.