Re: [RFR] templates://lynx-cur/{templates}

Hi all, sorry for delay.  I've been working on my new
package texworks these days.

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:47:17 +0300, Esko Arajärvi wrote:

> On Sunday 26 July 2009, Justin B Rye wrote:
>> Better yet, shouldn't Lynx do it automatically, without any need for
>> a separate wrapperscript in a separate package?  lynx.cfg refers to
>> a variable LOCALE_CHARSET which sounds as if it was intended to fix
>> all this, but it's set to FALSE.
>
> I tried this with LANG set to Finnish and Japanese and both
> seemed to work quite well. So, I would suggest setting
> LOCALE_CHARSET to TRUE and defaulting to UTF-8
> in CHARACTER_SET.

Thanks for your test.  I'll check how LOCALE_CHARSET works
afterwards.  If it works as expected we don't need a wrapper
script perhaps.

The followings might be irrelevant for translations
but some notes.

I set CHARACTER_SET=iso-8859-1 only because it is the default
setting in the upstream.  I basically follow the upstream.
If utf-8 is much more appropriate for Debian I'm willing
to modify it.

> For ASSUME_CHARSET (which concerns files in web without character set
> information) ISO-8859-15 would be probably a good default. The
> ASSUME_LOCAL_CHARSET, which is same for the local files, defaults
> to whatever ASSUME_CHARSET is set, which IMO is dump as
> LANG environment variable would be
> much better default. This would probably require bug report upstream.

We can see comments on ASSUME_CHARSET in the original
lynx.cfg that

     # 	 Normally Lynx assumes that 8-bit
     # characters in those documents are encoded according to iso-8859-1
     # (the official default for the HTTP protocol).

so I'm not sure if iso-8859-5 is a good default in this case.

Regards,   	   	      	 2009-7-29(Wed)

--
 Debian Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda AT debian.org>