Re: [RFR] templates://lynx-cur/{templates}

Hi, I'm a maintainer of lynx-cur and not sure if I was requested
to anwer anything but short note.

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:09:45 +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:

> As far as I can see this package is far more about CJK support than
> novice users.  For instance, if LANG=ko.EUC-KR, it sets Lynx's
> CHARACTER_SET option to "euc-kr" and its PREFERRED_LANGUAGE option
> to "ko,en".  For Japanese users it also checks TERM and COLORTERM to
> see whether it's running in a fancy terminal, but otherwise that's
> more or less it.
>
> This might be entitled to claim a position as a general-purpose
> wrapper configuring "common settings" if only it supported other
> legacy LANG values like fr.ISO-8859-15 or ru.KOI8 or zh_CN.GBK.  But
> it doesn't - if LANG doesn't end in UTF-8 then ja* gets euc-jp, ko*
> gets euc-kr, zh* gets big5 and everybody else gets iso-8859-1!

You will read the followings in README.Debian;

    But the current maintainer does not know about this issue so precisely
    so please let me know any deficiency if you find.

I'm willing to refine any deficiency in a wrapper.

> In fact I've just checked; if I'm on the console (the only situation
> I can think of where a novice is likely to use Lynx rather than
> Iceweasel) and LANG is "en-GB.UTF-8", it falls back to using
> /etc/lynx-cur/lynx.cfg.dflt, which sets CHARACTER_SET=euc-jp and
> PREFERRED_LANGUAGE=ja,en!
>
> That probably deserves a wave of bugreports, but meanwhile:

Please visit

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 20:02:17 +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:

> And it would be nice to get some feedback from upstream about its
> advantages for Japanese-speakers.

On a console, a wrapper will display with english and under X11
on an appropriate terminal (which supports UTF-8) it will display
with japanese.  Ideally it would behave like that way for any
LANG but I don't now how it should setup environments for
european users nor arabic nor hindi ...

Regards,       	   	      	    2009-7-26(Sun)

--
 Debian Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda AT debian.org>