Re: Proofreading request for dma 0.0.2009.02.11-1

Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> writes:

> Thanks in advance for any advice you may offer on the wording!

Here is my attempt.

> PS.  Please CC me on replies, since I'm not subscribed to this list.

Done.

> Package: dma
>  The DragonFly Mail Agent is a small Mail Transport Agent (MTA),
>  designed for home and office use.  It accepts mails from locally
>  installed Mail User Agents (MUA) and delivers the mails either locally
>  or to a remote destination.  Remote delivery includes several features
>  like TLS/SSL support and SMTP authentication.
>  .
>  dma is not intended as a replacement for real, big MTAs like Sendmail,
>  Postfix, or Exim.  Consequently, dma does not listen on port 25 for
>  incoming connections.

The synopsis doesn't need to give the full name (since that's in the
long description), and in this case I think it would be better
describing rather than naming the package.

“mail” (and hence “email”) names a *system*; the stuff that goes
through it is “mail”, but that's an uncountable noun. The individual
things that go through the system are email messages.

Also, “real” and “big” could be a little more descriptive.

My attempt:

=====
 The DragonFly Mail Agent is a small Mail Transport Agent (MTA),
 designed for home and office use. It accepts messages from local Mail
 User Agents (MUA) and delivers them either to local mailboxes or
 remote SMTP servers. Remote delivery includes features like TLS/SSL
 support and SMTP authentication.
 .
 dma is not intended as a replacement for full MTAs like Sendmail,
 Postfix, or Exim. Consequently, dma does not listen on port 25 for
 incoming connections.
=====

> dma for Debian
> --------------
[…]

The English is okay, but the text reads a bit like a personal missive.
Could this be re-worded so that it describes the package in Debian,
without going into the personal opinions of the writer?

> Template: shared/mailname
> Type: string
>  This is the fully-qualified host name of the computer running dma.
>  It defaults to the output of "hostname --fqdn".

That implies that the debconf setting defaults to this value, but this
isn't troue (there is no default for the debconf value). Also, the
wording seems to suggest one could be installing the package on a
different host from where it will actually run, which is surely false.

Perhaps this would be better:

=====
 This is the fully-qualified host name to be presented to SMTP
 clients. If this value is unspecified, dma will present the output of
 'hostname --fqdn' as the mail host name.
=====

> Template: dma/relayhost
> Type: string
>  This is the name of a remote server to which to send each message.
>  If it is left blank, dma will try to deliver all messages by itself;
>  however, for the present it cannot really handle MX record lookups.
>  The default is a host named "mail" in the same domain as your computer.

What does “it cannot really handle” mean? Please replace this with a
definite statement, either “it cannot handle”, or saying what it
*does* do.

> Template: dma/dbounceprog
> Type: string
>  This is the name of a program that dma will invoke when a bounced
>  message bounces in its own right.  Leave this blank if you like dma's
>  default behavior of simply aborting the delivery, or specify the name
>  or full path to a program that will process the double-bounce message.

The full description is okay, but the synopsis could be better. My attempt:

=====
 …
=====

--
 \          “The WWW is exciting because Microsoft doesn't own it, and |
  `\              therefore, there's a tremendous amount of innovation |