Re: Proofreading request for dma 0.0.2009.02.11-1

Quoting Ben Finney (ben+debian@benfinney.id.au):

> > Template: shared/mailname
> > Type: string
> >  This is the fully-qualified host name of the computer running dma.
> >  It defaults to the output of "hostname --fqdn".
>
> That implies that the debconf setting defaults to this value, but this
> isn't troue (there is no default for the debconf value). Also, the
> wording seems to suggest one could be installing the package on a
> different host from where it will actually run, which is surely false.
>
> Perhaps this would be better:
>
> =====
>  This is the fully-qualified host name to be presented to SMTP
>  clients. If this value is unspecified, dma will present the output of
>  'hostname --fqdn' as the mail host name.
> =====

One should notice that this is a shared template, so all packages
using it should be modified in case these changes are adopted.

Anyway, the original wording does not follow style recommendations in
two aspects:

- personnalization: using "your system" should be dropped in favor of
a more neutral wording. This is not necessarily "my" system

- link between synopsis and long description. Using "This is" makes
the assumption that the long description will come *after* the
synopsis while, in some interfaces, it may come *before*...or even
separately (as a balloon help in the GTK interface, IIRC).

Ben's proposal addresses the first concern but not the latter.

My proposal:

 Please enter the fully-qualified host name to be presented to SMTP
 clients. If this value is unspecified, dma will present the output of
 'hostname --fqdn' as the mail host name.

Or, alternatively, stealing from exim4 (which would allow stealing
translations as well):

 The 'mail name' is the domain name used to 'qualify' mail addresses
 without a domain name.
 .
 This name will also be used by other programs. It should be the
 single, fully qualified domain name (FQDN).
 .
 Thus, if a mail address on the local host is foo@example.org,
 the correct value for this option would be example.org.

> > Template: dma/relayhost
> > Type: string
> >  This is the name of a remote server to which to send each message.
> >  If it is left blank, dma will try to deliver all messages by itself;
> >  however, for the present it cannot really handle MX record lookups.
> >  The default is a host named "mail" in the same domain as your computer.
>
> What does “it cannot really handle” mean? Please replace this with a
> definite statement, either “it cannot handle”, or saying what it
> *does* do.

Here again, we have this link problem.

Anyway, that smarthost question could re-use templates from exim4:

 Please enter the IP address or the host name of a mail server that
 this system should use as outgoing smarthost. If the smarthost only
 accepts your mail on a port different from TCP/25, append two colons
 and the port number (for example smarthost.example::587 or
 192.168.254.254::2525). Colons in IPv6 addresses need to be doubled.

Of course, that depends on dma accepting that syntax to specify the
smarthost's port

If that's not acceptable, then the part about "the default is" shoul
dbe dropped. There is no need to explain what the default is....as it
should appear in a "Default:" setting.

> > Template: dma/dbounceprog
> > Type: string
> >  This is the name of a program that dma will invoke when a bounced
> >  message bounces in its own right.  Leave this blank if you like dma's
> >  default behavior of simply aborting the delivery, or specify the name
> >  or full path to a program that will process the double-bounce message.
>
> The full description is okay, but the synopsis could be better. My attempt:
>
> =====
>  …

Agreed....But again we have that link problem.

So, my proposal:

 Please enter the name of a program that dma will invoke when a bounced
 message bounces in its own right.  Leave this blank to keep dma's
 default behavior of simply aborting the delivery, or specify the name
 or full path to a program that will process the double-bounce message.

(I dropped the "if you don't like" thing with a "let's be factual,
only factual" rationale.

Attached rewritten templates file (it depends on the real possibiity
to re-use exiim4 smarthost question, though).

Template: shared/mailname
Type: string