Re: Counting the troops

Quoting Ben Finney (ben+debian@benfinney.id.au):

> > These messages are processed by robots such as
> > http://i18n.debian.net/debian-l10n/english/en.by_status.html
>
> That doesn't require that the Subject field be a mess that explains
> nothing to the human reader.

Well, up to now, all l10n teams that have been using that formalism
(en?) seem to be fairly happy with it. And they have mostly human readers..

> We have many robots processing email messages, without needing to have
> gibberish-looking Subject fields. For just one alternative interface,
> the machine-parseable information can be in fields of a pseudo-header
> in the body, while leaving the Subject field to its normal purpose.

Improvement are welcomed, but I think that several users also like
this way to make the information very easily accessible in, say, teh
summary window of their favourite MUA.

> Nevertheless, the message subject fields are quite off-putting and
> look spammy. Without a clear Subject field that tells the human reader
> why the message is of interest, it's likely to be skipped more often
> than you might like. Hence my suggestion for improvement.

Probably 90% of the list is made of such messages and the same stands
for all -l10n-* mailing lists. And, really, so far, no complain came
about this so it would need a very loud noise by many readers to
change a system that has been proving to work..:-)