Re: [RFR] templates://wacom-tools/{wacom-kernel-source.templates,wacom.po-temp lates}

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 04:37:06PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Christian Perrier wrote:
> >> (But what does "suitably configured" actually mean?  Is it talking
> >> about an unpacked kernel source tree with an appropriate .config?)
> >
> > I think this probably means that "make config" should have been run in
> > that kernel tree.
>
> This is a use of the word "configured" that normal users have no
> particular reason to be familiar with - nonprogrammers get their
> software from apt-get, not make!

People who aren't building their own custom kernels from source they
grabbed themselves aren't going to find that part applicable to them
anyway, people who do should understand what this means and how it
applies to them.  "suitably configured" also includes selecting
certain options (such as loadable modules and HID support) for the
target kernel.

> But meanwhile: hang on, what package is this "kernel-headers-*"?
> Does it mean linux-headers-2.6.*, or does the module-build system
> work with kfreebsd too?

kernel-header-* is the older package name, this should indeed be
linux-headers-* now.

> So maybe it should be something like
>
>   This requires either a full suitably prepared Linux kernel build
>   environment or a linux-headers-* package matching the currently
>   running kernel. Do not choose this option if neither of these is
>   available.

The linux-headers-* option should be the first described, since its
what people who need the explanation are most likely to require.

Aside from that, using 'matching' rather than 'fitting' in the
previously suggested text is probably a more natural choice of
words for english.

Also, if we do ever restore the kernel-source .deb to the default
builds, it probably should lean toward recommending the use of
module-assistant to do all this.  That didn't exist at the time
this method was developed, but it is a more comprehensive solution
that also takes care of the kernel deps in more detail.

It will be good to remove any glaring inaccuracies from the text
for the kernel-source .deb, but since most users will probably
never actually see it in the foreseeable future, we probably also
don't need to be _too_ picky about that part at this stage.

Cheers,
Ron