Re: [RFR] templates://slim/{slim.templates}

Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> wrote:
> It's the default x-display-manager launched on boot; that is, the
> option the system uses in the absence of any instructions to the
> contrary (in this case I suppose via update-rc.d or something).
> This is in line with how the word "default" is used in contexts such
> as "default options", "default installs", etc, though it's
> definitely a bit of a jargonism - the word's connotations in (eg) a
> financial setting are completely different.

Understood, but that is "the default ..." (default as adjective), not
"by default" (default as noun or verb?).

> If there were several clearly better options but none of them were
> available/successful, the "last choice" isn't called a "default"
> (although in a sense it's what the system is "defaulting" to), it's
> called a "fallback".

I think it used to be that I used update-rc.d on the *dm scripts to
set the preferred choice, then if nothing worked, xterm was run by
default - does that no longer happen?

Regards,
--
MJR/slef