Re: Minor differences for ISO_3166 translations in Dutch (Debian and TP)

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 07:49, Christian Perrier wrote:
> I analysed both versions from Debian and from the TP and the only
> difference I found is:
>
> msgid "Isle of Man"
> -msgstr "Eiland Man"
> +msgstr "Het eiland Man"
>
> If my understanding of Dutch is correct, Frans translation was
> literaly "Isle of Man" while Freek's one is "The isle of Man"

IMO "het eiland Man" is incorrect and a quick browse through Google seems
to confirm that. In that respect Dutch is similar to English: het/the is
often put in front of the name in daily usage, but not part of the name.

The English wikepedia even lists [1] just "Man" as the official Dutch name
of the "Isle of Man", which could well be correct. The Dutch wikipedia
[2] seems to agree with that, although the main text is inconsistent in
that it also uses "Eiland Man" (with capitalized "E").
Google also gives quite a few hits where the "E" is not capitalized.

It rather looks as if the correct translation should be "Man", or
possibly "Man (eiland)".

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man