Re: USB install with portability, persistence, and Xen with a GUI

V Mon, 2 Jan 2012 09:59:54 -0600
Dorko Super <superdorko@live.com> napsáno:

> Hello,

Hello Dorko,

> My objective is to run a collection of virtual systems that are
> stored in arbitrary places from a Xen/Knoppix installation that is on
> a USB hard drive plugged into a variety of computers. I would like
> the whole filesystem to be persistent rather than just the home
> directory tree.

Knoppix 6.7.1 installed on USB drive stores persistently not only the
home directory, but the complete system.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix671-en.html

=== citation ===
Booting from Flash

In order to create a bootable USB-medium (memory flashdisk, SD-card,
digital camera with USB connector, cellphone with microSD, ...), the
program flash-knoppix can be started from a running Knoppix system.
This program installs all needed Knoppix files onto the FAT-formatted
flashdisk, and creates a boot record for it. Other files on the medium
stay intact, since no repartitioning or formatting is done by
flash-knoppix.

After having copied the system to flash, using the persistent Knoppix
image (overlay feature), it is possible to also store files permanently
in live mode. That way, personal settings and additionally installed
programs survive a reboot.
=== citation end ===

Once you boot from the USB drive for the first time, you will be asked
if you want persistance. Next time, it loads automatically.

Regards,
Milan
--
http://www.milan-knizek.net/
About linux and photography (Czech only)