Re: USB install with portability, persistence, and Xen with a GUI

On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 06:40:42PM -0600, Dorko Super wrote:
>    more information about the project;
>    Christophe,
>    The installation scripts that I am proposing would be used to install
>    Knoppix onto a USB hard drive as I have described. The benefits are many.
>    The application of this type of Knoppix+Xen installation is as a base
>    environment for IT workers.

Why Xen and not KVM? Personal preference?

I have been using a kvm environment for a while, for demonstrating a
server+clients classroom environment, including the different graphical
desktop views, using kvm with an internal network, with Knoppix as
kickstarter for a set of virtual machines.

However, using Xen for the same thing should already be bossible. Just
use the 64-bit Kernel version (boot option knoppix64), which includes
Xen. Alternately, you can install your own kernel. You will most likely
need to format a second partition on the USB disk for storing images
larger than 4GB, which is not supported by FAT32 (which is used as
default for installing the Knoppix boot base system), and mount the
second partition by adding a small KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh script.  You can
start your virtual machines either by also adding commands to
KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh, or by adding to /etc/rc.local, using the persistent
overlay.

>    Unlike traditional operating systems, this
>    system could be customized and upgraded to the users content and
>    potentially maintained forever. Upgrading the hardware is then as simple
>    as plugging into the new computer. Upgrading the software, and even the
>    kernel, is managed through apt. If the hard drive runs low on space the
>    files are simply moved to a greater capacity disk with common backup
>    tools.
>    Although proprietary operating systems may always lead the way with
>    multimedia entertainment applications,

I do not think that they are "leading" at all. Rather, they make things
more difficult than they should be, by using nonstandard, undocumented,
patented and artificially restricted formats. I'd rather like to have
multimedia content that I can play everywhere without needing such a
restricted, proprietary player.

>    I believe that this type of OS will
>    soon be used by virtually everyone when they are doing serious work
>    involving email, personal data, shopping, information production, valued
>    processing, business, backup, and security. Every computer will probably
>    have an installed OS for non-critical functions or fault tolerant
>    participation in a cluster; every user will have a bootable data construct
>    that can utilize any available hardware, physical or virtual. While this
>    data construct should boot from an external hard drive, I believe the same
>    construct would boot across a network as well. The addition of Xen and
>    guest operating systems opens up the entire world of software to the user,
>    while maintaining a stable fallback environment. Virtualization has
>    benefits for software developers and end users alike because all users
>    create data.
>    To further elaborate on virtualization; It will be possible to run most
>    applications in an customized operating system of the users or the
>    developers choosing. This gives users a safe and slow migration path from
>    one environment to another. I would like to experiment with a variety of
>    OSes as test servers and application appliances. I am also interested in
>    the possibility of using GoboLinux as my primary environment. It will be
>    possible to boot whatever OS is installed on the host computers internal
>    data store. This is a safe way to run entertainment and business
>    applications on the same system. The portable OS will also be able to
>    capture user data on the host system such as pictures, music, videos, and
>    saved game files; in so doing, users may finally have a reliable roaming
>    profile for all types of data.
>    If NTFS or FAT64 support is reliable in Knoppix the installer should also
>    make an NTFS or FAT partition on the disk.

FAT64??

At least for NTFS, I would assume that the existing ntfs-3g is stable.
It is also still able to mount NTFS volumes when Windows fails to do so.

>    While the security of a users
>    data construct is at risk if the disk is attached to an operating
>    untrusted system, a certain amount of risk may be acceptable where
>    monitoring software is properly configured, disk encryption is in place,
>    and sensible backup policies are being followed. Notwithstanding those
>    measures, the NTFS/FAT partition for publicly accessible data is optional
>    and the same thing can be accomplished with a second external storage
>    device. The same file management and mirroring software would be used in
>    either case. If all of the data on the bootable disk is private then there
>    would never be a reason to plug the external device into an operating
>    system that is executing untrusted software. [If anyone would like to make
>    some USB cables with on/off switches I would be happy to get a cut of the
>    profits (I'm joking, but I would consider taking an interesting job if
>    someone is hiring.).]
>    So, in summary, there are many applications for Knoppixed+Xen installed to
>    an external device with persistence and portability as I have described at
>    http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2012/01/msg00000.html . Among the
>    benefits are elegant data management and software upgrades, broader
>    compatibility in data interfacing, improved system stability, and
>    improved security.
>    Thank you,
>    Jesse

Well, then, why not just go for it? :-)