Re: Best way to proceed for a 64-bits version of Knoppix?

Hello,

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 12:06:28PM +0200, Capri Corny wrote:

>      >I am interested, though: what applications do you find benefit
>      greatly
>      >from the 64-bit kernel?  And how much RAM do you need to have
>      installed to
>      >make the switch to 64-bits pay off?
>

>    I have 2-5 important use cases right now:
>
>    1. R with large (3+ GB) data.   Needs 64 bits.
>    2. Vmware Workstation running 64-bits guests, Win7 for example. Needs
>    64 bits to run well.
>    3. Image processing/editing.  Benefits from 64 bits.
>    4. Tasks like MCMC (Markov Chain Monte Carlo).  Faster computing,
>    easier workflow.
>    5. Possibly databases - here I am more unsure.

     6. Being able to chroot into a 64 bit system for rescue operations.

This was the main reason to add the 64 bit kernel since 64 bit Linux
installations on servers are very usual nowadays. The performance
increase having a 64 bit userland is not that big to make up for the
work of building and testing two Knoppix releases.

I had a small project two years ago which resulted in a 64 bit Mini
Knoppix (that only booted to runlevel 2 with some console tools) so
I can tell you it's possible to compile everything that is needed
in 64 bit mode. This version is not that hard to upgrade and could be
a good base for derivative projects that are, e.g., using live CDs
as a pure computing platform.

If there is a demand for this I can check the archive for the remaster.

I think the current solution is a good tradeoff between work and
functionality.

Kind regards,
Martin