Best way to proceed for a 64-bits version of Knoppix?

To cater for all the different use situations, standard Knoppix will probably be 32-bits for quite a while, with a number of optional 64-bits elements used interchangably, like the current 64-bits kernel version. (Which, BTW, works very well for me.)  That's not the subject here. Nor is the "need" for a 64-bits version subject, some users have some use situations etc.. But just to aid intuition in non-beleivers, think about running R with data structures several GB big.

As I have understood, little compiling will be necessary to make a 64-bits Knoppix - it's mostly to assemble 64-bits Debian packages and integrate into the Knoppix structure, do a remastering, and continue from there.
But it seems to me there are two alternatives for starting up:

1. Start with a minimal running 64-bits system and expand.
2. Start with a standard 64-bits Debian and Knoppixify it.

What is the best?  As the safest procedure will probably be to start the 64-bits version from scratch with every new Knoppix release, choosing the best method may be of some practical significance.

Trond