Re: Best way to proceed for a 64-bits version of Knoppix?

>Even though a "pure" 64bits Knoppix would be a nice boot option (as Kanotix)
>it is quite simple to recompile in 64 bits mode the few applications (or server daemons)
>for which you need the best performance possible. As an example you only need to install
>"amd64-libs-dev" to Knoppix 6.5 (obviously started with the 64 bits kernel)
>to get all you need to compile 64 bits binaries. Try from a root console:
>"apt-get install amd64-libs-dev" and then compile your 64 bits binaries
>using the "-m64" gcc option and you can get all the benefit of a 64bits processor
>for the few applications that you need to run as fast as possible.
>This is by the way a nice way to bootstrap a "pure" 64 bits version of Knoppix
>if you really feel the need for one (this was your original question).

Thanks for the advice! Still, I want to compile as little as possible, which is why I would rather try to add the Knoppix-specific packages to a 64-bits Debian or start from a minimal running version, adding packages.  Your method surely will work well "locally", but the wide specter of actual extra packages for R may depend on just about anything installed, and will (often, at least) break with wrong versions. As for swelling compressed images, that's surely a concern for general distribution, but it isn't of any significance when running Knoppix off Unix partitions.

Still, a first goal could be to produce a 64-bits version of Knoppix CD. (Will likely have to burn to DVD media, but that doesn't matter.)