Re: Touring the EU with Knoppix sans laptop

On 5/1/07, Robert Citek <robert.citek@gmail.com > wrote:
Stephen Samuel wrote:

Do you or anyone else have recommendations for cafes?  Again, the cities
will be Amsterdam, NL; Cologne, DE; Lucerne, CH; and Zurich, CH.

No. Never been to Europe.. Someone else will have to help there.

Ah, yes.  Good idea.  IIRC, I could also transfer the image to the
Windows partition on the harddrive, although I'd rather leave the
computer untouched.

Stomping on the HD isn't likely to engender the local admin to Knoppix users. You don't want a bad reputation going ahead of you.

> The advantage to doing things that way is that you then have normal use of
> the CD/DVD player, and it's generally a lot faster.

Yes.  All I really need is a browser and ssh, but having OpenOffice.org
is nice, too.  I'm actually thinking I'll take a laptop drive and this
USB2-IDE adapter:

USB enclosures are precisely that --  all in a  nice enclosure (helps protect the drive). Some computer shops will carry empty enclosures ($30-50) and you can add in a drive of your choice.  I use a 3" enclosure but, if I had it to do again, I'd probably use a laptop drive enclosure.

Agreed.  In fact, because of those cheatcodes changes, I've remastered
Knoppix to use grub instead of isolinux.  That way I can modify
cheatcodes on the fly.

Do you have a pointer to the descriptor for doing that?

(note, that it's pretty easy to modify the isolinux parameters without having to do a full remaster)
http://www.bcgreen.com/knoppix/ )

--
Stephen Samuel         http://www.bcgreen.com
778-861-7641