Re: Touring the EU with Knoppix sans laptop

Some cafes will allow you to boot from CD, others won't. At a bet, you'll probably have more luck with the smaller cafes that are less likely to have a professional admin.

If you have a problem booting, try a couple of different machine (they may have missed one) and/or ask for help.  Let them know what you're doing and why They might be willing to give you a break.

Also: bring a couple of spare CDs/DVDs with you.  Two reasons:
  1) in case your prime gets damaged, and
  2) so you have a couple to give away ( :-} )

Although not everybody is going to have a DVD reader, it's nice to have the extra software at places that do.

If you take a small USB hard drive, you'll have the space to put a full DVD. You can then boot from a minimal CD and still have all the software you can think of.  You can set the CD to automatically boot from the USB drive (adding 'fromhd=/dev/sda1' to   /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg)

(You can do similar work with a 1-2GB drive and a CD image. 5.0 should work on a 4GB stick. I'm not sure about 5.1.1, but 5.2 is noticeably  over 4GB)

The advantage to doing things that way is that you then have normal use of the CD/DVD player, and it's generally a lot faster.

I also add 'xdepth=24', to isolinux.cfg since it's hard to find a machine, these days, that doesn't have 24bit color capability.