Re: Please, help Linus install Debian!

Am Mittwoch 25 Juli 2007 schrieben Sie:
> Le 24 Juillet 2007 15:23, Martin Steigerwald a écrit :
> > Am Dienstag 24 Juli 2007 schrieb Gilles Pelletier:
> > > So, it seems Linus  has the same problem as me(1): I'm sure he
> > > could install Debian, but he just doesn't want to get through the
> > > hassle.
> >
> > Hi Gilles,
> >
> > What hassle exactly?
>
> Didn't you read the reference I gave:
>
> <http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2007/07/msg00000.html>
> from: "I treid Etch, recently, and it was too many headaches."

Hi Gilles,

No, I didn't. I had a quick glance at it, but it was very long and I
didn't get the point of it, honestly. From my first impression it sounded
like some random pieces thrown together and I wondered what exactly you
were trying to tell with your message.

But anyway there you write that *you* tried Debian Etch. I did not
write that you didn't, but I doubted that Linus did and still do so.

Nonetheless I do not agree. I installed Debian also for the desktop
recently with a bunch of Linux newbies I had in a linux training. And not
only I have been very satisfied with the proceeding and the results.

Etch IMHO is not more difficult to install than Windows. Its just that one
usually does not have to install Windows, cause it comes pre-installed.
Whenever I installed Windows - I try to stay away from it as much as I
can -, I found it to be a time-consuming nightmare. It regularily took
hours to install all the needed drivers and at least some basic
collection of applications and tools - including lots of reboots. With
Debian I have one reboot and most if not all of the applications I want
an "aptitude install" away (of course I can use a GUI frontend as
well). Granted I can spent hours and days fine-tuning my Linux systems,
but thats on a completely different level.

Regards,