Re: A few comments about Knoppix 5.1

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 09:30:09PM +0100, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 11:18:15AM -0500, Peter Pauly wrote:
> Well, it was my fault, kind of. In any case, I apologize to anyone who
> got bugged by the kicker bug.

well, these things happen. I have to admit I'm one of the Strg+Fx
users. ;)

It could be much worse, there are these commercial operating systems
sending informations to their companies after a driver or application
crashed...and even after a week I don't get a bugfix. Completely
unacceptable.

New features I need? They don't seem to care.

So please relax and continue to send in bugs. The last release is a
while ago and we're lacking a bit of feedback that's only possible after
a release because even 20 people can't find every bug.

The desktop picture is a matter of taste, not a *bug*. You may use
the persistent home feature to keep your changed wallpaper.

> At the moment I'm just unable to test anything by myself, being away
> from "the lab", and the (indeed about 10) people who tested the
> pre-release versions did NOT find the kicker bug, probably because they
> are, well, more or less "power-users" and used keyboard shortcuts
> instead of ever clicking on the switcher buttons. Even the 1-2 beginners
> didn't find it, because they had never used virtual desktops before. So,
> instead of blaming anyone for bugs, let's call it bad coincidence and
> get out a new release as soon as possible. There ARE workarounds for
> restarting kicker (or even, work without kicker), but they are not
> convenient for beginners, so even fixing this tiny bit in 9GB software
> is worth a quick update.

Half of the "10" people are caring about functionality a desktop user
will probably never use like checking whether ntfs, knoppix-image, the
terminal server (oh, we did a lot of bugfixing on this package) or
startnessus/samba/squid/bind/tohd/fromhd/toram/... works.

Remember, the system used for much more than surfing or desktop
applications and these things need testing too. Manual testing.
So normally after booting with "knoppix 2" they circumvent the kicker
bug. :)

> > Third, someone previously pleaded for the inclusion of Truecrypt, I
> > agree, it would be very useful.
>
> I haven't worked with truecrypt before, preferring loop-aes and the
> powerful commandline tools myself (well, losetup and mount, that is. ;-)
> . But maybe Martin Öhler, who has been working a lot in the Desktop
> encryption/authentication area recently, can tell more about it.
> Martin?

I have no technical reasons against truecrypt.

But there are definitely some problems with the license:

stopping the software from entering the Debian distribution. Is there
a concrete problem with the encryption provided by loop-aes (multikey mode
please)?

We normally feel good about licenses when the software is Debian-proof.
It's lesser work including a package that is inside Debian, so we prefer
these because we can't miss updates (and cause new bugs...).

Regards,
Martin