Re: Re: Knoppix 5.1 Mini-Announcement

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 12:41:09PM -0800, Gilles van Ruymbeke wrote:
> At 11:31 AM 12/17/2006, you wrote:

> > But offering "early access" for SERIOUS testing, to a SSH
> > public-key-protected rsync repository, affording a few extra GB
> traffic,
> > should be possible.
>
> What about a bit torrent ?
> I also have a 1and1 developper contract with 1'500 GB of
> Bandwidth/Month
> to offer for temporary download. Would this help ?

How do you restrict torrent downloads to specific persons who agreed to
betatest a pre-release voluntarily, regardless of breaking their
hardware and losing all data on their harddisks?

You may have missed the statement at the beginning, that we were talking
about a pre-beta-release test. The public beta is not the problem.

> > I know, it's annoying... But in theory, it should not appear if you
> boot
> > with knoppix home=/dev/sda1 (or home=scan), so you can go away after
> > typing that at he boot:-Prompt. If it doesn't work that way, it's a
> bug.
>
> The knoppix-image script (called from knopppix-autoconfig which is
> called
> from linuxrc) always shows a dialog box with cancel as a time-out
> default.

Ok, it's a bug...

> +1 for 2.6.20 if you can get it working...

Does not look too well so far. :-(

> Did you get the chance to rewrite all or portion of the linuxrc script
> ?
> (to include booting from an iso located on a ntfs partition ?)

tohd=/dev/ntfs_partition works, now that ntfs-3g (the new version for
fuse-2.6.1) is included on the initrd.

It will not boot from an ISO file located on a harddisk, because this
requires a different mount and a statically linked losetup in the
initrd, further increasing the RAM requirements. But if you put the
KNOPPIX directory from DVD to harddisk instead, it should work. I have
no "real" NTFS partition for testing available, though.

> Vmware is working on releasing their tools (drivers) with an other
> licence type
> which I hope will allow live distros to include them in the hw
> autodetection.

Why should I use a proprietary binary-only emulator (vmware) if I can
have a Free one (freedom, not beer, qemu)?

> When that will be the case could you please consider including the vm
> tools in Knoppix ?

I prefer to stay as much Open Source as possible with Knoppix as long as
no vital functionality is missing. And just because vmware is
(currently) faster than qemu does not mean that I _have_ to use it
instead. There must be a better reason than this.