Re: Any chance 5.1 will get out before Etch?

Le 9 Décembre 2006 17:34, tapani.raikkonen@surfeu.fi a écrit :

> > Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> >
> > Kanotix wasn't ready in
> > 2006. Will Debian become the new bleeding edge distro? Or
> > Ubuntu...
>
> It's not so simple to maintain a stable distro with unstable
> packages included ;)

Apparently. That's the conclusion Jörg Schirottke came to. IANAD, but
it seems to me that many developers put a lot of effort in their
corner to put out a bleeding edge distro. Meanwhile, companies with
huge ressources put out a not so cutting edge distro every six
months. The outsome is clear: if small developers don't unite, their
distros will become meaningless.

Of course, I understand Klaus really wants to have cutting edge with
material recognition and needs to work with the latest kernel. That's
normal, it's his business and it's already an awful lot of work. But
is it really necessary to fit the latest software with the latest
kernel?

Of course again, if he puts out a perfect distro for material
recognition, somebody will pick it up, work in the latest software
and that's the distro that will receive all the coverage from the
specialized press. Maybe that's the kind of distros that should join
forces?

Whatever happens, developers cursing and swearing, complaining that
they work day and night whereas users just whine, will lead nowhere.
The Whole Wide World won't become a world of developers, neither
tomorrow or in a foresightable future. Efforts, the way they are done
now, don't pay. After years and years of hoopla, Linux is nowhere
near to make it on the desktop:

<http://marketshare.hitslink.com/
report.aspx?qprid=2&qpmr=15&qpdt=1&qpct=3&qptimeframe=M&qpsp=94>

and hasn't made it yet in public administration:

Wired: Loves Linux, Runs Windows
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/computers/0,72246-0.html>

and that's where the proprietary formats close the way to Linux.

Once again, IANAD, so I know nothing. If developers find their efforts
pay, I hope that they rejoice and stop complaining about poor little
headless users whining. If not, maybe they should think about
organizing their efforts otherwise.

That was my point in the previous message. My hardware is quite old
and I don't care about having the most up to date software, so I
won't die if Knoppix 5.1 comes out only in a year. Anyway, it's
probably Debian that I'm going to install when Etch comes out. But it
just so happens that "ready is ready" is a rather sad excuse.
Sometimes, things are really getting late.