Re: Historical question re Knoppix3.4 and kernel 2.4.26

Am Montag, 18. September 2006 12:22 schrieb Phil H:
> This is probably a question for Karl Knopper or someone else involved in
> the Knoppix 3.4 releases.  (BTW thanks for this wonderful technology).  See
> below as to why I'm interested in these ageing releases.

I might be one of those ...

> I'd tried on numerous occasions to recompile the 2.4.26 kernel in that
> Knoppix using its gcc2.95 and the .config file found in /usr/src - the
> kernel itself built ok but the modules always did not, bombing at the same
> place.
>
> After a *huge* amount of googling I found the exact solution:

> It seems there were changes to the 2.4.26 kernel that, for certain
> configurations, required either (1) compiling for eg p3 and *not*
> CONFIG_M386=y, or (2) applying a patch such as that referred to in the
> above url.
>
> My question is this: how then was the kernel in knoppix3.4 compiled? Was
> the actual config changed from ONFIG_M386=y, or was another patch applied
> as above?

I remember having this cmpxchg problem, but I guess I just applied the patch
at that times, though I do not know what Klaus did.

In any case it doesn't matter at all. Just do it ;-) ...

I remember having it for example with drm and newer versions. Was a pain ...

> This question is of much more than historical interest, since certain
> Knoppix spin-offs such as DamnSmallLinux still use this kernel, pulled
> straight from Knoppix3.4, because of its compatibility with old hardward
> (apparantly).

*g* I'm also using a 2.4.27 (now a debian kernel) here. Its a good and stable
kernel ...

cu

Fabian

--
      *** Consulting - Training - Workshops - Troubleshooting ***
   @@@ LiveCDs (Knoppix), Debian, Remote Desktop Access (FreeNX) @@@

--- Fabian Franz --- www.fabian-franz.de --- consulting@fabian-franz.de