Historical question re Knoppix3.4 and kernel 2.4.26

This is probably a question for Karl Knopper or someone else involved in the Knoppix 3.4 releases.  (BTW thanks for this wonderful technology).  See below as to why I'm interested in these ageing releases.

I'd tried on numerous occasions to recompile the 2.4.26 kernel in that Knoppix using its gcc2.95 and the .config file found in /usr/src - the kernel itself built ok but the modules always did not, bombing at the same place.

After a *huge* amount of googling I found the exact solution: