Re: booting with persistent image

Klaus Knopper wrote:
On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 01:40:55PM -0400, Keith Hodges wrote:
In 5.0.1 I created a persistent home image and booted with
home=/dev/hdb2 as instructed and the image was ignored.

You should not have to give home=... as boot option. Knoppix will scan
all partitions read-only for a knoppix.img
The scan option is now working, but I had two images and wanted to get at the other one.
I saw in the known bugs list that this was rumoured not to be working if /dev/hdb2 is an ext2fs.

Really? Where?

here on the main bugs page on the wiki!

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/5.01CD
So I made /dev/hdb2 to be a FAT32 in order to work around this. I still find it ignored. I tried ext3fs too and that did not work either
So I might just have the persistent image working now. I would prefer to use a persistent partition or usb stick. To do this I like the look of the myfs cheatcode added by this user. It makes great sense to be able to simply merge a usb stick with the system on cd to make a fully working installation. I am a long way away from having enough knowledge to do all this could you just pop these in to 5.0.2 for me please:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17024

Knoppix may be easier than many distros to get working but I think it could really do with some real beginners docs. My Win2000 ntfs disk has crashed and windows is now a BSOD. I am aiming to use Knoppix to rescue a few files into the neighbouring HD, but I have to learn all this stuff first since I have never user linux in anger before. For example I have been at this 5 days and have just dicovered Ctrl-Alt-F1/F2/F3/F4/F5.

I still have not found a simple way to add modprobe ne io=0x300 irq=10 to a default startup script within my now shiney and new persistent image.

It looks like I have to get knoppix to generate a config knoppix.sh, then I have to move it to /cdrom/KNOPPIX , adjust it to do what I want and hope that it is persisted in my knoppix.img and will run from there on startup. If this works I will get knoppix.sh to run /user/knoppix/.bootrc or something similar. Is that the right thing to do?

Keith

___________________________________________________________ All New Yahoo! Mail ? Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html