How to compile xscreensaver under Knoppix?

I'm running Knoppix 5.0.1 Live CD and can not get the K Button | Lock Session function to lock the screen (passwords are set on the accounts root and knoppix). So, I'd like to get xscreensaver to lock the screen. I have the package xscreensaver_4.24-4_i386.deb, installed it, and can lock the screen. However, the package gets installed into RAM...

So, I'd like to compile/install xscreensaver on my handy dandy flash drive so I don't have to install xscreensaver every time I use Knoppix. When I attempt to configure xscreensaver, I get:

root@1[xscreensaver-5.00]# ./configure
current directory: /media/sda1/x/bin/xscreensaver-5.00
command line was: ./configure
checking perl version... 5.008008
checking for X... no
configure: error: Couldn't find X11 headers/libs.  Try `./configure --help'.

So, can anyone assist with supplying the proper switches and whatever path locations are needed to configure xscreensaver? Thanks!