Re: remastering peculiarities

On Friday 09 June 2006 14:34, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> Hi, and sorry about the long quote,
>
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 10:42:20AM -0600, John Schmidt wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 June 2006 21:05, John Schmidt wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >

> > Just to follow-up on what I believe the source of my problem was . . .
> >
> > When creating a compressed filesystem using create_compressed_fs, I was
> > NOT using the version provided by KNOPPIX V5 cd, instead, I was using the
> > version from cloop-utils provided by debian (version 2.02.1+eb.10).
> >
> > When I switched to the version from KNOPPIX V5 cd, I no longer get the
> > "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem . . " error.
> >
> > Evidently, there is some incompatibilities between the old
> > create_compressed_fs and the new one that is in KNOPPIX V5 cd.
>
> It shouldn't make a difference! The formats are always compatible within
> the same major version number (i.e. 0.x, 1.x, 2.x), and the cloop 2
> format hasn't changed for Knoppix 5.0.1. Could it be that there is a
> wrong/changed cloop package in Debian?! Eduard?
>
> Here is the source for the current cloop, kernel module as well as
> utilities:
>
> http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org/sources/cloop_2.04-1.tar.gz
>
> Regards
> -Klaus Knopper

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I did a few more tests and found that I could get a
successful boot with the version of create_compressed_fs found on the V5 CD
but when using the 2.02.1+eb.10 version (on the same filesystem), I would get
a boot failure ("Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem . .").  This was very
repeatable in my testing (worked with CD's version, but failed with debian
unstable's version).  I didn't try and use the cloop_2.4-1.tar.gz yet but
will try this.

John