any chance of improved xorg configuration?

I have a Sony Vaio tx1xp laptop. The kubuntu live CD configures X to use the full 13??x1024 or whatever resoluton, but Knoppix uses the 1024x768 framebuffer driver. I'm wondering there are any plans to try to support more heterogeneous LCD displays in the future. I could attempt to swipe the screen configuration scripts out of kubuntu live for use in Knoppix if that would be of interest.
Michael