Re: could I install Knoppix with debootstrap?

Hi Robert,

On 17 May 2006 at 00:08, Robert Citek wrote:

| Hello Dirk,
|
| On May 10, 2006, at 7:43 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > One possibility I like is to copy the .iso file from a Knoppix
| > mirror site,
| > and then setup lilo or grub to boot it.  There are a few HOWTOs
| > that explain
| > it for my Quantian variant of Knoppix at dirk.eddelbuettel.com/
| > quantian.html
| > and there should also be several documents at knoppix.net that
| > explain this.
| >
| > Hope this helps, Dirk
|
| I tried the instructions at your site for using grub to boot the ISO
| image[1].  Unfortunately, the kernel and initrd are for kernel

Hm, which are 'the kernel and initrd' ?  When you try to boot the iso from
hd, you need to place the _same_ kernel from _inside_ the iso onto the hd.
The files on Quantian's alioth page should be for 2.6.12...

| version 2.6.7, which did not work for booting Knoppix 4.0.2 with
| kernel 2.6.12.  I also tried following the instructions on the
| knoppix.net site for booting using grup[3].  Unfortunately, that
| initrd seem to assume that the ISO resides on an NTFS filesystem[4].

That would surprise me. You may have misread it -- typically these are
enhanced initrd files that also allow for the iso to reside on NTFS even
though standard kernel may not have ntfs support enabled.

Also check the docs Samuel provided.

Hope this helps,  Dirk

| My guess is that magic to make this work is in the initrd.
|
| Do you or anyone else know of an initrd that works with Knoppix's
| Linux kernel v2.6.12?
|
| [1] http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian/howto_lilogrub.html
| [2] http://quantian.alioth.debian.org/
| [3] http://knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
| [4] http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/kno402.zip
|
| Regards,
| - Robert
| http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
| Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
| for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison