Re: wireless in 4.02

> On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 10:39:17AM +0100, marc wrote:
>> > Are others on this list successfully using wireless cards with 4.02?
>> > I have tried the 4.02 CD, the 4.02 DVD and my remaster, on several
>> > machines, and the problem is always the same - initial connection
>> > with DHCP server OK, then no more packets come in. I tried
>> > no{everything} on the initial boot prompt, as Klaus suggested, with
>> > no joy.
>>
>> Yes, I use a wireless card and DHCP.
>>
>> You don't show your interfaces entry, but it should read something
>> like:
>>
>> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>> name Wireless LAN card
>> wireless_essid YOURESSID
>>
>> After than, an ifup eth0 should activate the card, even if ESSID
>> broadcasting is deactivated.
>>
>> However, if you are using WEP, WPA or some such, then you will need to
>> take further action.
>>
>> One further thing, I found that the cheatcodes affected my wireless
>> card's ability to boot. Replacing acpi=off with pci=noacpi fixed a few
>> problems that I was having.

> Cool, a new kernel option I did not know yet. :-)

> I wonder if this would be safe to add as default option? Some boards
> won't boot with "acpi=off", but maybe "pci=noacpi" would be something
> that works on all?

pci=noacpi seems to be a lighter version of acpi=off. The latter
disables the wireless NIC hardware button on the laptop, so the NIC is
not present during the boot, and is unavailable afterwards. This is
due to
# cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/*/rf_kill
being set to 2 (hardware RF kill) when zero is needed.

acpi=off also caused my non-PnP BIOS to return something that upset
the kernel; pci=noacpi fixed this too.

Debian-type install: While I'm on, I found that the default "nomce"
caused the laptop to hang when shutting down. It would shut all the
devices down, even the hard disk, but not the whole machine. I'm not

Best,
Marc