Re: wireless in 4.02

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 02:49:17PM +0100, marc wrote:
> pci=noacpi seems to be a lighter version of acpi=off. The latter
> disables the wireless NIC hardware button on the laptop, so the NIC is
> not present during the boot, and is unavailable afterwards. This is
> due to
> # cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/*/rf_kill
> being set to 2 (hardware RF kill) when zero is needed.
>
> acpi=off also caused my non-PnP BIOS to return something that upset
> the kernel; pci=noacpi fixed this too.

Very interesting option. Most problems with ACPI are caused from wrong interrupt routing, not from power management, so pci=noacpi is probably a better recommendation than acpi=off.

What about pci=bios? Does this fix things the same way as pci=noacpi? I
don't know if these options can be overridden when called in different
order on the boot commandline. Have to check this.

> Debian-type install: While I'm on, I found that the default "nomce"
> caused the laptop to hang when shutting down. It would shut all the
> devices down, even the hard disk, but not the whole machine. I'm not

This is strange, because nomce just turns the check for fatal errors OFF
(such as a CPU constantly reporting overheat even that everything is OK,
just to a missing sensor). With mce on, I get an immediate kernel panic
when booting on some AMD machines with faulty boards. So, "nomce" should
actually be the safe option. It's default when booting from CD.