Re: [debian-knoppix] fromhd & home persistant image choice

Jody wrote:

Jody a écrit :

Hi,

I'm using knoppix fromhd with grub as bootloader on some machines.

It seems that fromhd needs to be the first parameter to work.

It works fine on the first machine, but can't access KNOPPIX filesystem on
the other:
I've made: knoppix tohd=/dev/hda2 , it boots well, I can eject cdrom, but can't get booting directly with grub or with cdrom after reboot, this partition has reiserfs filesystem
Boot can't find knoppix image ^^

I can't understand why it can't find Knoppix image ? how could I "debug" it ?

Well bootfrom parameters seems to work well :) is someone could explain which difference
there is between fromhd and bootfrom ?

Very slow reply .... I've been away :-)

First off I think the linuxrc does not support reiserfs, so it won't "fromhd" from a reiserfs.

fromhd means that the linuxrc file in the initrd (which controls booting up) doesn't actually search for a cd-rom with the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file, but instead simply looks on the supplied device.

bootfrom occurs after the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX has been mounted (normally this would be when you boot from cd), and then it mounts the supplied bootfrom argument and uses pivot_root so you are actually using the bootfrom image

So, short story is fromhd just chooses where to get the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file while bootfrom needs to have already found one, and then it can switch to using another one (I think this is useful for booting images stored on devices that are not supported by the normal kernel and initrd (perhaps they need a module like ntfs).

As for debugging it ... loop-mount the initrd to edit the /linuxrc file inside it to add debugging info, then reboot with the modified initrd or see if you can setup qemu to test it.

Niall

Jody