Re: Can I use it to test out a evaluation software that has expired ?

the vendor is reputable, conglamorate software manufacturor .  Yes
they do ask for root and I suspect to help their anti-piracy effort.
A non-priviladged users' space can easily be wiped clean and the
product installed again.

I suspect the product does not call home cause, I disconnected the
network cable and starting the product was just as quick to notify me
to the expiration.  I'd imagine there would be a small pause while it
tries to find home on a disconnected network.

My question now is.........

 does Knoppix create a "virtual"  filesystem where the install of the
product writes its files emulating a physical write to filesystem ?
 If so then that is probably my ticket.

thanks all.