Re: [debian-knoppix] apt-get problem

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 03:41:37PM +0100, Tino Boss wrote:
> >Try dpkg -i
> >--force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-4_i386.deb
> >as root of course.
> >
> That and "apt-get -f install" fixed the thing. Thanks!  Know I'll try to
> find out what I actually did and what the problem was. Was the .deb-file
> broken?

Yes. The error message you got was clear:  "conflict install file $foo in
package $bar: file $foo also in package $gizmo" (I'm paraphrasing, but that
is the basic idea).

That happens every now and then, and before a fix is available, a workaround
is to do 'dpkg --install --force-overwrite $foo'. See 'dpkg --help' and
'dpkg --force-help'.

It also helps to check the BTS for the packages in question:
http://bugs.debian.org/$foo.

Hth, Dirk

--
The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page