Re: [debian-knoppix] XP won't boot after knoppix 3.4 hdinstall

Bill Eastman escribió:

Klaus Knopper wrote:

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 09:47:59AM -0400, Joris Huizer wrote:
I don't know why -- it didn't work.
I gave that command and when I now boot the computer it does the usual hardware startup stuff, and then says,

CDROM:
MBR

(as if it first "thinks" it should read a cdrom, maybe that's standard anyway) but then it just says MBR, and nothing happens.

The obvious explanation would be that there is no more bootable
partition on your harddisk, therefore the MBR bootloader stops and waits
for instructions. Could it be that, when using Fabian's installer, you
DELETED your Windows partition instead of just RESIZING it and adding a
swap and Linux data partition on the empty space?

Can you tell me how to solve this?

If the above is true, your Windows partition is gone for good.

Do you still see the content of the (ex-)Windows partition when booting
Knoppix from CD?

If he has a Windows 98 boot floppy, he could fdisk /mbr. Before doing that, I suggest making a linux boot floppy. Then when he wants linux, just boot from the floppy.

Good idea. But I love the USB Keydrive (http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/keydrive ) to use for this function ( it 's more comfortable to use than a single floppy).

Regards.