Re: [debian-knoppix] BUG? - Problem with booting from the CD

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 12:24:50PM -0400, Marek Hejmo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem while trying to boot Knoppix 3.4 on one of my computers.
> I get the prompt asking to choose the kernel and eventually enter the cheat
> codes. No matter which kernel I choose, it stops always at one place.
>
> OK this is what I do:
>
> 1. boot the PC
> 2. on the prompt I hit Enter key
> I get the penguin, "Welcome to the KNOPPIX live Linux-on-CD!"
> Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done.
> Enabling DMA acceleration for: hda [WDC my hdd model here]
> Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdc [Lite-On my CD 48x here]
> Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdd [IOMEGA ZIP my zip drive here]
> Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0 - takes quite some time!
>
> After some time I get:
>
> Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
> Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
> Please reset button to quit.
>
> Additional ...
>
> knoppix#
>
> That's it. I don't understand why is it looking for my CDROM in SCSI
> devices. BTW. The cheat code noscsi does not help. The CD boots just fine on
> 3 other computers.

It uses scsi emulation unless you start with
knoppix atapicd
(as mentioned in knoppix-cheatcodes.txt), but I suspect a DMA problem
with your board here, so
knoppix nodma
will probably work, and you can still burn CDs.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper