Re: [debian-knoppix] Questions about Knoppix: (low-mem computer, screen switching off...)

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 06:54:02PM +0200, Tomàs Núñez wrote:
> Hi
> I'm using Knoppix on a very old computer, a Toshiba Satellite 4070CDS.
> First, I've got some problem... the screen switches off in a while (2 minutes
> or so) if I don't touch any key, even if I move the mouse. Why can this be
> happening? Is this related to acpi?

Could be. Try booting with

knoppix noapm

and if this does not help,

knoppix acpi=off noapm

> And then a little off-topic, do you know where can I find a place with some
> advices for a low-mem (64MB), low-cpu (celeron 200) computer running KDE?

My smallest test machine is a 486 with 28MB of RAM and some swapspace on
harddisk. It still works with KDE. So, if you just add a linux swap
partition, or a swapfile on a MSDOS partition, it should work.

> What should I disable, what should I activate, etc? (for example, I remember
> some time ago, when I drag&drop a window, I only moved the silhouette of the
> window until I released the mouse button, and in this moment the windows was
> moved, something like that)

KDE has a wizard that has a "slow -> fast" CPU slider. It kills more
effects when you turn toward "slow". Or use a small memory footprint
window manager like xfce, twm or fluxbox instead (type knoppix
desktop=twm at the boot:-prompt, for example).