Re: [debian-knoppix] request: howto write to hard drive? newbie question...

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 09:51:41PM +0200, Chris Liechti wrote:
> Michael 'topdog' Thompson wrote:
> >
> >background:
> >
> >   i'm chained to a wind-blows 2K pro NTFS box, ( NOT my choosing ).
> >
> >   i fired up the k-3.4 cd. over the m$ 2k pro; sweet.
>
> knoppix 3.4 has captive
>
> >question:
> >   i need to update the file on the hard drive; help! PLEASE.
>
> - mount thr drive by clicking on it, that will mount it readonly
> - run the captive installer from the knoppix menu, let it search the
> drivers, click on "ok" when it has found them.
> - umount the drive
> - then mount it with captive:
> # sudo mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hdX /mnt/hdX

The new right-mousebutton ("Change read/write mode") remountrw script of
Knoppix 3.4 should take care of the captive-ntfs mount, after the
filesystem module has been activated by the captive-installer, instead
of bouncing with the usual "NTFS write impossible" message. I have not
tested it yet, though (no NTFS partition in reach).

Regards
-Klaus Knopper