Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix the reanimator // what to take out for 3.4

Hallo,

> Knoppix brought my laptop back to life as well - got exactly the same
> problem, dodgy IDE connector which I tried to get fixed but to no
> avail:(
>
> So with Knoppix I was able to use the machine immediately with the
> live CD, and then later I installed to an external firewire drive once
> I'd learnt how to boot using the CD and pivot_root to the root file
> system on sda1.  Try doing that with windows ;)
>
> WRT suggestions on what should go, I too think that one of the office
> suites should be dropped (but which one, Koffice?).

All except OpenOffice!

> compelling reasons for not ditching the 2.4 kernel?  I think some (if
> not all) of the games should stay - I mention them as some people have

Not at all! I am not into games, but what I saw on Win, was _much_
better. You can not impress a school boy or girl with linuxgames. Some
are good if you are bored, but that's it. I do not think there is a game
that can cope with its Win counterpart (although they are mostly free,
but that does not impress a 10 year old boy).

> said they're unnecessary.  I disagree - they have to be the best way
> of getting certain audiences initially interested in Knoppix and
> GNU/Linux. BTW on knoppix.net we are now on page 16 of the discussion
> on what could be removed
> <http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9579&start=225>.
>
> Anyway for me personally, I'll be installing to HD and so can apt-get
> install anything missing afterwards - what I'm really after is the new
> kernel :)
>
> Cheers everyone, especially Klaus, looking forward to the new Knoppix
> when it's *ready* (already I've grown more patient - no more checking
> the knoppix.net or the FTP sites every few hours).

Bye, bye

Achim

Knoppix is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
I n g e n i e u r b ü r o   H A U
H a n s - A c h i m     U n g e r